CHAPTER III

CHAPTER III

Luigi was left speechless. He almost felt guilty for being happy.

"She-a loves you, but as a friend?"

"Best friend to be precise, but..." Mario shrugged. "Yeah, that's-a about it."

"But..." Incomprehension was worn by his face. "I don't-a understand; you guys spend so much time together. And you seem to always get along so well. It seemed clear as the blue sky that you two were meant to be together; the entire Mushroom Kingdom believed it!"

"Peach doesn't seem to think so," he said. "After that declaration, I thought it would be useless to confess to her."

"I'm starting to feel guilty for scoring big with Daisy..."

"Hey, don't be like that Luigi!" he said bumping gently this shoulder with his fist. "I'm so happy that you and Daisy hit it off!"

"But still, Mario—"

"I'll be fine!" He cut his brother's self-guilt. This one, for this old brother's sake, lifted a smile. A sadden one, but still a smile to cheer his spirit up. "I always am! They do call me Super Mario, right?"

Luigi chuckled a laugh. "Well, if that can make you feel better bro, I think that's her lost. You're a good man, Mario. You were the one who gave me good advice on dating."

"Well, if you want to thank me, you can name one of your future children after me."

"Don't push it, bro!" they both shared a laugh on this remark. "And look on the bright side, you're pretty much available on the market. Maybe you can hit it off with Pauline, the mayor of New Donk City. You helped her out last time, right?"

He hummed onto the idea of being with her on a romantic level as he snapped his fingers. "You know, that's not a bad idea! She and I really got along well, so why not? I'll ask her out then! Thanks Luigi!"

"No problem!" he answered. "I could give you some pointers if you like."

"Ah, shut up!" Mario and Luigi laughed and enjoyed the rest of their supper. It seemed at first that Master Mario's saddened mood halted here.

He and his brother spent the rest of the evening together in brotherly love; from playing these mind-numbing video games to watching movies of super-heroic characters.

As night fell on our kingdom and lulled us all to sleep, Mario's mind was busy. He laid his eyes open staring at his room's blank ceiling. The princess's words still troubled his mind. He understood and respected her choice; it was not as if they were destined to be together. As he let out a large sigh, he could not let this inner matter to rest, yet do anything about it.

He had loved Princess Peach for a long time. Of course, saving her after every kidnapping from Princess Bowsette was not to gain her heart, but for duty and the goodness of helping someone in need. His heart could not help but feel the sting of being fooled. He was so certain that she felt the same towards him. And so did I; it was not every day that you meet a man willing to travels many kingdoms to come to your rescue.

He rose from his bed. His clothing were neatly folders on his dresser; along with a picture of him with the princess; a sunny day at the beach organised by both Princess Peach and Princess Daisy. In the framed memory, they were sitting together as she was lacing her arms around his neck from behind. Their cheeks were pressed against each other. Such a lovely memory.

He smiled as he took the picture in his right hand. Looking at it, nobody would dare believe they would not share happiness together as lovers. Life could be cruel, even to the brave and worthy. As he laid the picture down, he put his usual attire and left his room, then his home. He needed the midnight walk for him and his restless thoughts.