CHAPTER VII

CHAPTER VII
As they walked around town, inhabitants could not hold their surprise upon gazing at the unexpected duo.

Shock was expressed due to Bowsette's presence, but incomprehension as well seeing her with Mario. This one did his best to convince the people that she was no threat and that the talk of a truce stood at the moment. They were not thrilled with the idea of the Koopa monarch walking among them. Luckily, Mario's reputation was known throughout many lands in a heroic way. They decided to trust him at the end.

"So freaking annoying!" Bowsette said. "The one time I'm actually sincere and I don't come invading, I get trust issues from them?"

Mario rose an eyebrow to her. "Can you really blame them?"

Bowsette was irritated; partly because of his reply, but also because of the truth behind it.

"Whatever!" she said. "How long do we have to keep walking anyway?"

"I think-a this hill would be a good spot." Mario pointed up.

At the town's edge, a hill rose and gave a beautiful view to the horizon. While Mario walked to its top, Bowsette jumped impressively high to it. Mario was surprised of her jumping capabilities. He leaped as well to join her side.

"I have to say, I'm impressed!" Mario genuinely said.

"Well, you and Luigi aren't the only experts in jumping high!" There was a victorious tone to her voice.

"I guess-a so," he smiled to her as they both sat on the hilltop.

Behind them was a gorgeous view of the city. In the distance, Bowsette's ship was still anchored in the air next to the royal castle. A large white flag governed gracefully the ship. In front of them was a large view of a sparkling lake. The sunlight was captured in the water and made it seemed that gold was swimming. Master Mario and Princess Bowsette looked peacefully at the wonderful horizon. It was truthfully a spectacle of nature worthy of the word "divine."

The princess sighed, breaking the silence.

"I know you've already told me, but..." she said. "Of all people in the world... I still can't believe and don't get why you saved me."

"You're still hung on that?"

"If your life-long enemy saved your life, how would you react?"

"I'd be grateful and say my thanks."

She grunted. "It's not the same for me. Considering our history, you know damn well how hard it is to accept."

"So what do you want to do about it?"

She sighed in exasperation. "I owe you one, remember? So therefore; what do you want?"

"I didn't save you for something—"

"JUST SAY WHAT YOU WANT, DAMN IT!!" She shouted. "TREASURE? LEAVING THE PRINCESS ALONE FOREVER? WASHING YOUR DISHES FOR A MONTH? YOUR OWN BATTLE SHIP? JUST SAY IT AND BE DONE WITH IT, DAMN IT!!"

Her face found the cover of her right hand, hiding her frustration. It was not easy for her to owe someone. Never in her life that something as such happened. She just wanted for this business to be done with.

"Just... just tell me what you want, okay?"

Despite her small outburst, Mario could not help feeling saddened for her. Since her death and return to life, his perspective towards her changed. She was still the Koopa princess, sworn enemy of the Mushroom kingdom. But in the cruel and indomitable devil that she had been all those years, a crack in that armor of hers was present. And inside was a little glimpse of a lonely light.