CHAPTER XI

CHAPTER XI
The grand day had arrived! The day of the Star Shower Festival was finally upon us!

All of the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom were readying themselves for the fair. Decorations, stands and effervescence bubbled at the town's square and its surrounding. Nothing but smiles and joy were imprinted on the people's faces. Master Luigi, Princess Daisy, Princess Peach along with our friends, Yoshi, Toad and the castle guards helped around town to finalize the town's preparations.

Despite the enthusiasm, Mario's absence was noticed by many.

Bowsette had told him that she would come join him at his home. And here he was: waiting for the woman he had asked out for this joyous event.

The Koopa princess was known for being many things. Nervous was not one of them.

Except for today.

Her bed was littered with many colorful dresses. Her hands pulled each dress one after the other, but not one seemed to fit her desire. She ran to her large wardrobe and scanned almost each piece of clothing, but her quest to find the perfect dress seemed to have failed.

"Damn it!" She grunted on her bed exasperated. "I got only four hours left and I still can't decide what to put! I got nothing!"

Her eyes aimed at the ceiling for a moment as she took a deep breath. It was not every day that an invitation such as the one Mario sent her was given. Mario had been very good to her; very humane. She was grateful for it. Even if she accepted his invitation in a nonchalant way, worry started to take hold of her strong confidence.

She did not want to mess things up.

"Maybe I should call and cancel..." she said, but immediately waved her head. "No! I can't do that! Come on Bowsette, what's with you? It's just a date!"

She knew her last words were a lie. It was not just a date. It was her first.

"No..." her hand took a random dress and pressed it against her. "I can't do this to him. He's been too good to me. And truth be told, I..."

The door creaked and opened. A small figure dressed in blue entered Bowsette's room. Kamek had appeared.

"Princess," he bowed to her.

"Oh, it's you Kamek." Bowsette said. It was obvious that she did not miss him. She stood back up and returned to her search for the perfect dress. "What do you want? I'm busy."

The sorcerer walked closer as he saw the mess on her bed. "What's all this?"

"Going on a date," her tone sounded uninterested, "with Mario."

"I beg you pardon?" the shock was palpable.

"What? 'Got a problem?"

"A problem?!" Kamek's voice rose. "This is the greatest insult in Koopa history!"

"Oh, here we go..." Bowsette crossed her arms. "Go ahead! Let out your dirty laundry!"

"You can't just go on a date with Mario! He's our worst enemy! We as the Koopa Kingdom are meant to rule all and be the mightiest of all in the realm! And the Mushroom Kingdom is fated to fall under our feet, not befriend us! This is the greatest aberration in our name!"

"Our name or yours?"

He growled. "I've let you have your fun, but now it's time to return to your senses! You're the monarch of the Koopas, not just some random jezebel!"

Bowsette's eyes turned red as she bared a sarcastic smile with fangs towards Kamek. "Wow... If I didn't know better, you sounded exactly like dear old Father."