Chapter Thirty-Three

Nick

I heard the door slam, and instantly knew Elle was back from her afternoon venture around the city. In the morning, Kara had hauled us all around New York City, and dragged us into so many stores I thought I would vomit. I, along with John and Elle, had been to New York before, so it truly amazed me when Kara decided to show us the city as if it was something new.

      After going about the city, Kara proclaimed that she and John would be going out for dinner, leaving Elle and I alone. Elle thought it best to explore on her own, while I returned to the pink apartment, and took a much-needed nap.

      “Nick!” Elle screamed from somewhere in the front room. I heard a tremble in her voice, and rushed out of the guestroom I had been lounging around in and down the hall to her, fearing that something had happened on her outing.

      “Elle! What happened?” I asked, extremely concerned, as I saw the condition she was in. Tears were trickling down her pale face, and if she wore makeup, I’m sure her mascara would be running too. Dirt covered her forehead and hands, and the white blouse she had left the apartment in this morning was covered in a mixture of mud, water, and a red substance I assumed was blood. Her jeans were ripped, and not because it was making a fashion statement.

      “I-I got m-m-mugged!” Elle cried, her face dropping to her two hands. I hurried over to her, and pulled her into my arms tightly. She rested her head on my chest, sobbing in her vulnerable state.

      “How? Who was the bastard? Do you know where it happened? I’m going to kill that son of a bitch!” I raged, soothingly rubbing her back as my instincts took over.

      “If I knew w-who it was, I would’ve al-already told you, idiot!” she wept.

      “Sh… It’ll be okay. I’ll call the police, everything will be fine,” I said, hoping that I wasn’t crushing her accidentally as anger surged through my body.

      “I-I already called them, they-they’re on their way over here now,” she stuttered, wrapping her arms around me securely.

      “Where and when did it happen?” I asked calmly.

      “I was w-walking back to here, and then out of n-nowhere some a-asshole jumped out, p-pulled a knife out of his pocket, p-put it up to my throat, and t-took my wallet!” she croaked, her entire frame quivering with fear she spoke.

      “He’s dead. It was a he, right?”

      “Y-yeah, it was a guy.”

      I took a deep breath before continuing my interrogation, “Did you get a good look at him?”

      “N-no; he was w-wearing a mask.”

      I pulled her back a bit, looking down at her face. “Elle, did he say anything to you?”

      “Y-Yeah,” she shivered, nuzzling her head closer into me.

      “What?”

      “I-I don’t know… Something about, ‘A pretty, rich girl like you shouldn’t be alone. Blah, blah, blah. Give me your money or you die.’ I was so scared, Nick!” she breathed.

      “Did-did he hurt you?” I gulped.

      “He got me on the ground, and I started struggling. He punched me a few times, but I think I’m fine,” she said. I dropped my arms, from her torso, and took a step back, evaluating her appearance once more.