Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Elle

“Elle,” Jake said, opening the door on my side for me.

“Thank you,” I said, sliding out. Man, I hated dresses. This one was one of those fake pastel colors that could pass as white, but has a tinge of blue. Pastels are stupid. Now my shoes- don’t even get me started: black pumps- AKA how to sprain an ankle in one easy fall. Why the shoes and the dress? One because it’s a wedding, and two because Kara said that she’s going to be there, and I don’t really feel like getting scolded for my attire today.

“You look beautiful,” he said, taking my hand, and warmly securing his own around it.

“Thanks,” I smiled.

“Ready?”

“Never.”

“Okay then, let’s go!” he said, as we walked through the busy parking lot to the country club. Yes, this wedding was at a country club. Sucks, but whatever.

“Elle…” Jake said, delicately placing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

“Yeah?”

“What’s that?” he questioned, coming to a stop, and pointing to a section of my neck.

A blush crept up my face as I replied, “What does it look like?”

“A hickey,” he said frankly.

“Uh huh.”

“I trust you Elle, which is why I feel comfortable asking this question: who gave it to you?” he demanded, being very territorial, and biting the edge of his lip with concern.

“My curling iron,” I smirked, covering the red spot back up with a piece of hair.

“Only you Elle…” he laughed, as we continued on our path to the entrance of the building.

My hair is naturally wavy. Not super straight, but also not tremendously curly. This morning, I thought it would be a bright idea to curl my hair, just for the fun of it, and to make it stand out a little more than usual. Big mistake. By the time I was done, I had not only burned half my neck, but also ineffectively curled only half my hair. It looked okay, so I didn’t dare touch it again.

We entered the building, and I almost went blind. Everything was white. The carpets, the tables, the chairs, everything! It was pretty scary. There were people talking, and a liveliness of excitement and romance looming in the air. I saw people who looked familiar, and were probably friends of my parents.

“Elle! Jake!” my mother’s high-pitched voice called. I snapped around, my hair flying off my covered back, and faced her.

“Hi mom,” I said.

“Hi mom,” Jake said.

“So let me get this straight, you two are officially dating?” she asked, studying Jake’s look from head to toe, as if scrutinizing him for the tiniest flaw. My mom has known Jake forever. He’s Jordan’s best friend, and he practically grew up in our house. I’m not sure why the two of us dating hadn’t taken place sooner. It’s weird.

“Yes,” I said.

“Treat her right Jakey,” she said, playfully squeezing his arm.

“Will do ma’am,” he said, putting his arm around my waist.

“Good. I saw Phillip here earlier, and I believe Kara might be here too, so the two of you may want to catch up with them. Oh! And don’t forget to say hello to Jordan. I’ll see you later. Don’t cause too much trouble,” she warned, before going off.