Epilogue

Epilogue

Nick

      “That’s my girlfriend!” I screamed, cupping both my hands around my mouth to increase the volume of my cheers. The individuals I was sitting with glared me, probably fearing that I would “embarrass” them or something ludicrous like that. If anything, they were the ones mortifying me by not cheering along for the girl we came to see.

      “Nick, shut up!” Aspen snapped at me, sending a cold scowl my way as she cradled Liam, my new nephew, in her arms protectively. For a two-month-old, he was a pretty chill kid; always sleeping and eating— kind of like me. He was an abnormal baby, never one to cry. It wasn’t a bad thing; odd, really, that tears never sprung from his eyes. He was tough. Pretty cute, too. He got my stamp of approval when he was added to the family. That type of kid deserved to have “Ross” as a last name.

      “Aspen, shut up!” I mimicked back in a high-pitched, immature tone.

      “Seriously, Nick, shut up!” my mom scolded sternly.

      I rolled my eyes, ignoring both of their comments and continued to cheer for my girlfriend— for Elle. “I love Elle Paterson!” I began to yell, earning glowers from people who didn’t share an ounce of my DNA nor my girlfriend’s.

      “Nick, please, stop,” Elle’s father begged with pleading eyes, though it came across as more of a command.

      I looked over to my brother, hoping that he would back me up, but all I got was an empty stare with a hint of remorse oozing through. Then, out of nowhere, the boy who had been favorable in us getting back together in the first place, despite potentially harming his best friend, backed me up like the good ol’ boy he was. “That’s my sister!” Jordan began to cheer.

      “Elle Paterson!” I laughed loudly, as all the adults, Aspen and Evan included, sent us both cautionary glances to cut it out.

      “Elle! I love you!” Jordan resumed to shout about.

      The girl over a hundred yards away from us on an elevated stage shook the hand of an important looking man (probably the president of the school or something), and then accepted a paper document that would dictate her future from another guy. She had done it. After three years of fervent studying in the tense and competitive environment that had drove her insane at times, she was finished. No more school (unless she decided to go for a fourth degree); everything was done. She had done it.

      She flitted across the stand in a charcoal robe, much resembling those worn by a certain group of wizards, looking as gorgeous as ever. Her hair was poised in a tight ponytail on the back of her head, allowing the rest of her exquisite face to be exposed to the world. The article in her hand shook slightly, tremors from her nerves radiating through her body. She had done it.

      I watched silently, everything freezing around me as she walked down the steps with an aura of confidence about her. My breath hitched, and my mouth was unable to move as I took in her approaching figure. Over the past few years, she had matured so much. She wasn’t the same girl who let petty emotions rule her life, and was ready to advance right into her career. Elle had always been a serious person, but ever since she had entered graduate school, there was yet another layer of solemnity added to her.

      Her new yet unchanged demeanor wasn’t a bad thing, per say, for I too had matured considerably. My previous outbursts for the girl I loved weren’t a viable reflection of the man I had become over the years. I too was more determined— more invested in my future profession. Though my journey was going to take longer than hers, we had agreed that it was worth it.