Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

       “Elle you have boyfriend, right?” my mom asked on the other end of the line. 

       “Uh, yeah,” I said, my mind instantly turning to Jake. He’s such an amazing boyfriend.

       “Good, so you’ll have a date to the wedding,” she said happily.

       “Who’s wedding is it again?” I questioned, plopping down on my bed. My head sunk into the plush pillow that lay below, as our conversation continued.

       “Kerry and Brian soon to be Winters,” she replied.

       “Oh Kerry’s getting married? Didn’t she babysit for us when we were little?” I asked, recalling her as a sweet girl who never let Jordan eat ice cream, even when he cried, and colored endless drawing pages of princesses with me. I always liked her, even if Jordan didn’t.

       I remember once, she took us to a park, and I decided to go on the “big girl” swing. I was pumping my little legs as fast, and with as much force, as I could. Jordan offered to push me. Being the naïve little five year old that I was, I accepted. Jordan proceeded to push me off the swing, and onto the sharp woodchips below. I started crying, and Kerry rushed over to help me up, scolding Jordan in the process.

       I had scraped both my knees, and the blood was gushing out. For a five year old, I wasn’t the bravest one in the world. I kept crying, until we reached her car. She shuffled around in the glove compartment, and withdrew a Band-Aid. That thin piece of pliable plastic went on my scuffed up knee, and Kerry became my hero. Personally, I only have fond memories of the girl.

       “Yes, and her parents are exceptionally good friends of your father and I’s. I expect you’ll be there?” my mom said stiffly. 

       “Yeah, sure mom; sounds fun.” I like weddings. I don’t know why. They’re fun, and everything’s always perfect, and planned. Though unachievable, perfection is always a nice thing to strive for, and I feel like that’s exactly what weddings aim for; the unreachable goal of perfection.

       “Wonderful! I can’t wait to see you there! Call your brother for me, won’t you? I can’t tolerate talking to him at the moment,” she sighed, probably rolling her eyes. Now it’s not official, but if it were, I’d be the favorite child in our family. I’m the good one who never gets into trouble, while Jordan... is Jordan.

       “Sure mom,” I assured her, rolling over to one side in the nest of sheets and blankets I had forgotten to straighten out on my bed.

       “Bye Elle,” she said, hanging up.

       “Elle! Who was that?” John asked, entering my room.

       “My mom,” I said, dialing Jordan’s number. “Are you going to some wedding in a few weeks?”

       “Yeah, my parents are dragging me; Winters I think,” he said, dropping to the foot of my bed, and indulging his torso on the heavenly mattress, as his feet remained planted firmly to the ground.

       “Coolios! I’m going too!” I sat up.

       “Awesome. Who are you calling now?”

       “Jordan,” I answered simply.

       “Fun. Don’t verbally abuse him too much,” he laughed.

       “I won’t,” I said, hearing the first ring.

       “Hello?” the person on the other line said, answering the phone.