Chapter One: Therapy

"Honey, please!" my Mom begged.

"But Mom, why?" I asked. I didn't want to go to therapy.

"Please baby girl. Just go to one session.It would mean the world to me. Ever since Elaina died you've been depressed and I'm worried about you." she said. I hate when she says shes worried. It makes me feel bad.

"Fine, I'll go!" I yelled in her face. I stormed off to my room.

"Your appointment is at one o' clock! Be ready!" I heard her call behind me.

"Whatever!" I called back.

Okay, let me explain, my name is Arianna, but everyone calls me Aria. I live with my single Mom. My Dad left us a few years ago, but it's not that big of a loss. He used to beat me and my Mom. About 3 months ago my best friend Elaina died in a car crash. I haven't exactly been coping well. But my Mom hasn't been any help.. Even though Dad beat her she still loved him and she's been really upset since he left. So I've kinda had to take care of myself. It's hard though, because I'm only 17. But I have a minimally paying job at the drive thru window of McDonalds. It's not easy, but we manage. But I'm still extremely depressed about Elaina. So I guess that's why my Mom wants me to go to therapy. I guess she's trying to make an effort now.

I checked the clock. 12:17. We'd probably have to leave at around 12:30. I should probably start getting ready.

I opened up my closet and grabbed a t-shirt and my favorite pair of yoga pants. I don't really know how to dress for a therapy appointment. I should probably dress nicer but I'm not trying to impress anyone. I ran a brush through my hair and and threw on a pair of old flip flops. I grabbed a sweatshirt, tied it around my waist, and ran downstairs.

"Ready Mom" I said. She picked up her purse and ushered me out the door. I slid into the car and rested my head on my hand.

"Okay sweetie, the doctors name is Dr. Hupp. She's very good and she specializes in cases like yours." she said.

"Whoop dee doo" I said with no emotion, making a little circle with my finger.

"Please hon, make an effort. I really want you to get better" she said.

"Okay Mom, whatever" I said. I wanted to get better. But this doctor better be good, because she definitely has her work cut out for her. I don't think I'll get better too easy.

"I hate seeing you like this. You know that right?" she asked me. Of course I knew. She hasn't stopped telling me for the past week.

"I know Mom." I said, trying to end the conversation. It worked. We spent the rest of the car ride in silence.

About 15 minutes later we pulled up to a large brick building. There were a few plants outside, maybe to try to liven up this drab place. It didn't work.

I dragged myself out of the car and into the building. There was a big round lobby with a large desk on the side. There was a nice looking lady sitting behind it, who looked up and smiled when we walked in. I didn't smile back. I sat in one of the chairs and grabbed a magazine. My Mom went up to the desk and said to the lady,

"Hi there, appointment for Arianna Rycleft at 1:00?" She sounded really happy. I'm not too sure why, I mean her daughter was about to walk into therapy. The lady looked at her computer for a second before answering.

"Ah yes, Ms. Rycleft. If you'll just sit in our waiting area Dr. Hupp will see your daughter in a minute." she smiled again and went back to her work. My Mom came and sat down next to me. After a few minutes an uptight looking lady came out and looked at me.

"Hi there, you must be Arianna!" she said. I stood up.

"Aria" I said.

"Okay, Aria. I'm Dr. Hupp. Come on in!" she said to me. I followed her into her office. I already didn't like her.

Her office was a little larger than the lobby. I was glad to see she didn't have one of those weird couches that you lie down on. Just a comfy looking chair. I plopped down in it and braced myself for the worst. Dr. Hupp sat down across from me.

"Okay Aria, do you know why your Mom sent you here?" she asked me. Yeah, like I didn't know.

"Kinda" I said. But I knew exactly why.

"Okay then, why don't you tell me?" she said. She crossed her legs and pulled out her notebook, all ready to write.

"She says I'm depressed." I said.

"Well what are you depressed about?" she asked me.

"Lots of stuff" I said, avoiding eye contact. Okay, maybe I was avoiding her questions too.

"It's okay Aria. You can tell me." she said. I guess it was time to spill. I mean, I did tell my Mom I'd try.

"Well I guess you could say it started about 10 years ago. That's when my Dad started beating me an my Mom. He would abuse us every time he got upset or angry. At anything. And my Mom refused to leave him. She still loved him. And I guess maybe she might've been afraid of him tracking us down and hurting us even more. I always got made fun of at school for being covered in bruises all the time. I was the outcast. Until one day we got this new girl, Elaina. She actually talked to me. We became best friends. She was the best and brightest part of my life. A few years after I met her, my Dad left us. My Mom went into this kind of withdrawal-like state. She still went to work and stuff but we only barely got by, because my Dad supported us. I got a job the second I was old enough and I've been supporting us ever since. I spent almost all my free time at work, picking up extra shifts and doing whatever I could to keep me and Mom alive. But the downside to that was I was spending less and less time with Elaina. Then about a few months ago..." I trailed off as I started to cry. She put her hand on my knee.

"It's okay. We can stop if you want." she said.

"No, it's fine. About a few months ago Elaina was driving with her boyfriend Mike... They got in a car crash. She died. He didn't" I burst into a full fledged sob. She handed me a box of tissues. I took it and pulled one out to dry my eyes.

"I've been depressed ever since. About a month after it happened I made a suicide attempt." I showed her the scar on my wrist."But my Mom caught me and took me to the hospital. I just wanted it all to be over" I buried my face in my hands and just cried. Like every other night since Elaina died. I grabbed another tissue, blew my nose, and threw it away.

"Okay honey, I won't make you do any more today." she stood up and helped me up too. "I'll see you again tomorrow" she led me towards the door. I glanced at the clock as she led me out. 1:30 already? That went by pretty fast. She opened up the door for me and I walked out to find my Mom. Her eyes were red and puffy like she'd been crying. When she saw me she stood up.

"Over so quickly?" she asked with a little sniffle.

"We try to keep our sessions short, to not overwhelm the patients" Dr. Hupp said to her.

"Well okay then" she held her hand out to me. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." I answered. I walked up beside her but I didn't grab her hand. She walked out the door with me and we both got in the car. As we pulled away I said, to no one in particular,

"Well, now I'm officially crazy. Congratulations. To me."

************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys like it! Leave comments and vote! I'll try to upload at least once a week. And I need a name for you guys... Suggestions?