Chapter 12 To Taiwan, with turbulence and a harsh landing

"Two hours left before we land," Brett said, but there was no answer.... Eddy was asleep

He could sleep anywhere, wherever he was, but especially on flights. So Brett couldn't tell if it was the hedgehog's usual thirst for sleep or a sulk - until the food trays were handed out.

"Shit, man, it's... fried eggplants with mushroom. Your favourite!" Brett said, half laughing, half revulsed. He turned to look at Eddy who maintained a stoic silence. Brett sighed. Yep, the sulk was on. They put the lids back on the disgusting, foul-smelling mush.

Brett looked through the window at the field of clouds under the blue sky. It was his special week in Taiwan, he wanted fun, he wanted to hang out with all his friends. He didn't need a downer on his birthday. Why was Eddy so awkward if there was more than one person with them? Why so antisocial? Why couldn't he relax and just enjoy hanging out with people? For Brett, anybody, friends, strangers, were a good opportunity for a chat, and some silly, mindless fun. I've got "social anxiety", Eddy would say. Brett sighed.

Taiwan had the greatest choice of bubble teas in the world. Probably. The thought put a grin on his face. And weird and colourful cocktails, and nightclubs where you could chat with strangers, and get tipsy and dance. He gave Eddy a sideways glance. Please don't be a wet blanket, he prayed mentally.

*

They were the first to arrive at the flat. Brett got the keys off the concierge and opened the door.

"Oh, dude, look at this! Spacious, isn't it?" he asked. "Come on, let's choose our bedroom before the others arrive. This one's the biggest, right?"

"Oh, so we're sharing a bedroom, are we?" Eddy asked.

"Of course, we are. Don't be silly. We..."

"So we don't pretend anymore, for our friends at least?" Eddy snorted.

Brett felt a rush of anger and couldn't reply. After a moment though, he managed to say, "We don't have a choice anyway. There aren't enough bedrooms for everybody, and everybody always expects us to share." Brett slid his violin off his back. "Because that's what we've always done," he muttered.

"Yeah, of course, because you're my best mate. Well, best mate, you choose our bedroom. Shall I wheel your suitcase, mate, in our bedroom? Or would you rather, mate, I unpacked the oolong straight away and made us a cup of tea? Which is it, mate?"

Brett grabbed his suitcase by the handle and marched into the bedroom. "Fuck you, mate." he grumbled.

"I heard that!" Eddy shouted after him. "Ok, I'll make the tea. Premium oolong, which I got for your birthday, same day I booked the tickets...incidentally... mate." Then he added in a lower voice, but which Brett could hear from the bedroom, "Next year, you're getting a viola. And no rice for you, tonight."

Two of their friends were not due until much later in the evening, and the rest the next day. Brett began unpacking, filling drawers and the wardrobe with his clothes. He'd brought his coolest gear for the Taipei nightlife. But his mind was focused on his violin. There would be plenty of opportunities to go out later. For now, he would practice. Clear his mind.

"Which room are you going to practice in?" He shouted over his shoulder.

But Eddy was right behind him holding a cup of tea. "Here you go, Bretty Bang."

He saw that Eddy looked more sorry and sad for the bad vibe than angry with him. "Thanks," he said, trying to avoid Eddy's eyes. He felt bad about it too, but he couldn't stop feeling resentful either.