viii.

"mia, there's a boy here!" sebastian called to his older sister. mia scrunched her eyebrows together. the only person it could be would be ashton, and sebastian knew him. why would he just say 'a boy?' mia brushed it off and set down her guitar as she left her room, shuffling down the stairs to come face to face with the last person she expected.

"hey, mia." the blonde boy smiled.

"uh... luke? what are you doing here?"

"i came by because, well, mia.. i have a problem. i can't seem to stop thinking about you."

mia walked over and slumped into the sofa. "what?"

"i.. i'm crazy about you, mia copeland."

"luke, you can't be serious, i-"

"i am serious. and i wanted to come over here because i wanted to know if, uh.. will you go to prom with me?"

mia's jaw dropped. "well, um.. i kinda thought i was going with ashton."

"well, has he asked you yet?"

mia sighed. "no, but-"

"then, why can't you go with me, mia?"

"because, luke, i like ashton. and i think he likes me, too. i mean, he likes me, doesn't he? you're his bestfriend, you would know. right?"

luke inhaled deeply. "well, mia.. uh... nevermind. i shouldn't tell you this. it would hurt too badly."

mia furrowed her eyebrows. "what is it?"

"you really wanna know?"

the girl nodded furiously.

"well, uh.. how do i put this? you were just a bet, mia."

"what do you mean?"

"ashton made this bet that he could make you prom queen. it was mainly to get over scarlett. he doesn't care about you like i do, mia. he's just using you to win a bet."

mia looked down at her lap, tears already filling her eyes as her front door swung open, and in stepped a curly haired boy with a dimpled smile and a handful of white roses. he was wearing a white t-shirt with 'prom?' written across the front, and even though mia found it incredibly sweet, she couldn't stop the anger flowing through her veins. the very sight of him was enough to set her off.

ashton looked back and forth from his bestfriend playing with his black lip ring to the beautiful crying girl on the sofa. he immediately rushed to her side.

"what the fuck did you do?" ashton hissed at luke.

"i think the real question is what did you do, ashton?" luke smirked.

"i didn't do anything. mia, what did he tell you?"

mia gulped back the cries in her throat. "am i just a bet, ashton?" she whispered.

"what?"

"don't play dumb, ashton. i said, am i a bet? am i just a fucking bet?"

the colour drained from ashton's face. "mia, please let me explain. it's not what you think-"

"answer the goddamn question!" she shouted, standing from the couch. her face was blood red and her fingers were trembling in anger.

ashton hesitated, knowing this would ruin everything. but he saw the hurt in the girls eyes, and his heart shattered with every passing second. he couldn't lie to her. it would just hurt her even more.

"well..?"

ashton nodded. "yeah, mia. yeah."

mia turned around, too upset to even look at him. "get the fuck out." she spat.

ashton nodded again as he stood up and set the roses on the coffee table. "i'm sorry, mia. i didn't want to hurt you. i really do care about you, whether you believe it or not."

mia shook her head. "leave, ashton. i asked you to leave."

the sound of footsteps faded before the door opened and shut.

"mia, i'm so sorry-"

"luke, can you leave? please?" mia asked as she brushed hair from her face.

he nodded. "of course. if you change your mind about prom, you have my number, okay?"

mia forced a small smile. "thanks, luke."

"if you need me, call. i'll see you later, mia."

luke gave her a wave before walking out the front door. he couldn't help but smile to himself. he was definitely winning that bet now.

***

ya so luke is an asshole im upset