x.

"dad, sebastian, i'm home." mia called, sniffing back tears as she opened her front door. she nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw her father standing right at the doorway.

"there's someone waiting for you on the patio." he said softly, a hint of a smile gleaming.

mia slowly walked out, pulling the sliding door open and coming face to face with a dimpled smile and locks of curls.

"did luke hurt you?" he asked quickly, not giving her the time to speak.

she shook her head. "he tried to take me to a hotel room, but i punched him in the stomach and made him bring me home."

"good."

"what are you doing here?" she said finally.

"i didn't see the point of staying at prom if the girl i wanted to be with wasn't with me."

mia rubbed her arm and looked down at her feet. "you can't try to make me feel bad for you when you brought all of this on yourself, ashton."

"you never let me explain."

"do i really need to?"

"yes. just hear me out."

she sighed, but nodded reluctantly. "fine."

"just, uh, sit down over here, okay? i'll start at the beginning. so, scarlett called and dumped me for michael clifford, i think you knew that part. so luke made this dumb bet with me that i couldn't turn any girl at school into prom queen."

"and that was me. i was just a bet."

"no, no, mia, please listen. it started with a bet, you're right. but, without that bet, i never would have gotten to know you. once we started hanging out, and i got to know you, goddamn, mia, i couldn't keep myself away. you're everything to me. believe me or not, i don't care. but i just want you to know, i'm crazy about you."

mia brushed hair from her eyes. "really?"

ashton nodded.

"why should i believe you when you lied to me that whole time?"

"i never lied to you."

"so you're saying all those times you said you were interested in me, you weren't lying?"

"no, mia, i wasn't. i'm really into you. i fell for you. hard."

"i find that hard to believe, ashton."

"why?"

"because i'm not scarlett."

ashton took mia's hand, and surprisingly, she didn't pull away. "and that's what i love the most."

mia couldn't help but break into a smile as a blush crossed her face. "really?"

"really, mia."

"w-wait.. you said love..?"

fuck, ashton said to himself. he didn't mean to let it slip. "yeah, i did."

"do you.. love me, ashton?"

ashton nodded. "yeah, mia copeland, i love you."

"you know what, ashton irwin?"

"what?"

"i think i love you, too."

ashton beamed and stood up, pulling mia up with him in excitement. she giggled wildly at his actions.

"mia, may i have the last dance?"

mia shook her head, bringing a look of confusion to ashton's countenance.

"no," she said, "you can have the first."

ashton pulled her into his chest, one hand resting on the small of her back and the other holding her small hand. they began swaying aimlessly to music that must have been playing in their minds in the middle of the may darkness.

ashton looked down at the petite brunette girl, who had managed to change everything for him in a matter of weeks. he smiled to himself.

"mia, can i kiss you?"

she chuckled. "do you even have to ask?"

he bent his head down slightly and softly pressed his lips against hers, and everything in the world felt perfect and right. like before, nothing was real.

"wait, wait, wait." mia said, backing away before ashton would have liked her to.

"what?"

"you never told me what you lost?"

"what do you mean?"

"the bet. you never told me what happened if you lost. because i didn't win queen."

ashton laughed. "you'll find out."

***

last chapter woo ps there's gonna be an epilogue so ok