Chapter 1

I have a similar routine everyday. It basically consists of me getting out of bed (no matter how difficult that may be), showering, brushing my teeth, and putting clothes on. There is also one other thing that is part of my morning routine and that is putting my glasses on before I leave my house. They are not just perscribed glasses that some people wear if they don't have perfect eye sight. They aren't sunglasses either. I couldn't describe to you what they look like because I have no idea. I've been putting glasses on since I was a little kid, yet I don't know what they look like since I have never seen them before. Confusing I know, but I actually have an explanation.

It is not just my glasses I can't see, it is also everything in this world. I was born blind. Wearing glasses doesn't really make a difference in my sight whatsoever so that is why I never understood why I had to wear them. My parents tell me the glasses are necessary for me everytime I ask them why I have to wear it. It really doesn't make sense, but I just go with it. There's no point in arguing and it really doesn't bother me that much. I actually think it is better that I'm wearing them. I'm always afraid of people seeing my eyes and judging me for it. What if my eyes look terrible and my parents just don't want others to look at them and be all freaked out. After I think of that, I never question them about wearing the glasses because I know they're just looking out for me.

Anyway that is only a small part of my life. The things I stated that were part of my routine might be very easy to do for some people, but it took me some time to adjust to. There have been so many instances where I've put my clothes inside out or just worn them weirdly. I've put the sleeves over my head multiple times. After many instances of that happening, my mom decided to put things in certain order so it would be easy to find the clothes that I needed. To make sure I did not put my shirt on backwards I always try to feel the tag and put it on that way. I have come a long way since I was a little kid, but sometimes it does take a long time to do the most normal things. Yes, life would have been so much easier if I wasn't born blind, but I think it is better this way. It makes me stand out from others. When everything is twice as hard than it is for everyone else, it makes me appreciate what I have even more.

When I finally got ready, I went downstairs to join my mom and dad for breakfast. It's only my mom, my dad, and I in the house. I'm an only child. My parents decided to stop having children after they had me. It does get lonely sometimes, but I have my best friend by my side to fill up that loneliness.

David, my best friend, actually my only friend, has been with me since I can remember. He has been with me through everything. He has helped me through school and hard times I went through. School can be hard for people like me. When some people see someone who is vulnerable, the first thing they think of is to make fun of them. There have been many instances where people have made fun of me, but David has stood up for me. Not that I let those people get to me, but it was nice to see that there was someone out there who actually cared enough to stand up for me.

No matter how hard things got, he has never left and was always there by my side every single day. I don't know why he is friends with me. He has done everything for me while I've done nothing for him. Yet he still stays by my side. I admire that about him. He truly is the only person who has been my true friend and that means everything to me. He has never left my side and I'm so grateful for that. I just really wish I was able to see him. Just a glimpse is all I need. I just want to see his features. He told me what he looks like, but seeing it in person is totally different. I can't imagine something I've never seen, therefore, I can't imagine what he looks like. He has told me he has brown eyes and dark hair. He also told me he is really tall and way taller than me which I could tell whenever he hugged me or was close to me. The way that I can describe David without seeing him is that he is sweet, kind, helpful, amazing, and easy to get along with. He is the most amazing person I've ever met. Truly, I don't know what I would do without him. Of course I don't tell him that because that would just boost his ego even more and we wouldn't want that.