Silver Bells

Denny

I hum along with the Christmas carolers, my arm around Robin as we sit on a park bench. They're singing "Silver Bells," and it's the last time we'll be able to see the lights before they get taken down in January.

She doesn't know it yet, but we have plans tomorrow night.

She giggles as Cooper, who is sitting beside her with his chin on her leg, starts to howl along with the carolers when they get louder.

"This is nice, Denny," she tells me, resting her head against my shoulder. "Thank you. The lights are so pretty."

I nod. "They are. I know you like them, and we haven't had much time to come enjoy them because you've been so busy."

"I'm interviewing people in January," she reminds me. She's restructuring a bit so she'll have more time to spend at home. It will be even more important once she's pregnant, so getting it in place now is a good idea, I think.

"I know it will be different, Robin," I murmur. "But I'm glad. I want you to be successful, but I don't want you overworked, especially when you're pregnant. And I want us to have as much family time as possible."

She nods. "We will, Denny. That's my goal. It will just take a little time to set it up."

"Let me know what I can do to help," I offer. I wish I could do more for her, really, but I'm limited by my complete inability to bake. Or to understand baking.

"You help just by loving me, Denny," she admits, blushing happily.

I chuckle and kiss her forehead. "Well, that's easy," I say lightly. "You're very lovable."

Cooper barks in agreement and she pets him. The carolers stop singing, and we stand up for one more walk through the lights before we go home.

I'm so excited for the new year. I hope it brings us everything we want.