Elves

Robin

We're at the store picking out toys to donate for Christmas when Denny abruptly stops in the middle of the aisle. He crosses his arms and squints at the display in front of him.

"What's an Elf on the Shelf?" he asks suspiciously, reading the text on the box.

I move so I'm standing beside him. "It's an elf that watches children for Santa. Then it goes back to the North Pole and tells him whether they were naughty or nice," I explain.

Denny squints more. "That's creepy," he observes, glancing at me.

I giggle. "You just don't want Santa to know you're naughty," I tease, nudging him playfully.

He scowls. "Seriously. You don't think that's creepy?"

I squeeze him and rest my head against his chest. "Yes, Denny, I think it's creepy," I agree. "But why are you so worried about it?"

He frowns. "Because I don't want our kids growing up thinking that they should only be good when people are watching," he answers seriously. "They should be good because it's the right thing to do."

I look up at him. I'm unexpectedly emotional in light of his admission. "Denny..." I murmur, not sure what to say.

He hugs me tightly and shrugs. "I've been thinking a lot about how to be a good dad," he confesses. "I want to be the best one I can be."

I know what to say about that, at least. "Denny, you are going to be the most wonderful father in the world," I assure him. "There's no one else I'd rather have kids with."

That gets him to smile. "So no Elf on the Shelf," he decides firmly.

"No Elf on the Shelf, Denny," I promise.

"Good. Now let's get out of this aisle so I can kiss you without him watching." He lifts me in one arm and starts to push the cart with the other while I laugh gleefully. When we're in the next aisle, he stops and sets me down, then leans in for his kiss.