Christmas

Denny

The doorbell rings and Robin jumps. I put my hands on her shoulders and kiss her forehead. "Sweetheart, just relax. Everything's going to be fine, okay?" She nods, but her eyes are panicked; I know she doesn't really believe me.

I suppress a sigh because I don't really believe me either.

I only started talking to my parents again recently. Even once I'd gotten my new heart, I didn't call until after I'd received a completely clean bill of health months later. By that time, Robin had entered my life, but I hadn't told anyone about her. I'd wanted to keep her to myself for just a little while.

Plus, I know that certain truths are going to come out now that my family is back in the picture, and I wasn't quite ready for those yet. To be honest, I'm still not, but she's going to find out sometime. I can't keep it from her forever. I shouldn't keep it from her forever, especially considering our recent conversations about what's going to be best for our children.

My father will bring it up, even though I told him not to. I'm still thinking about what to say. I'm hoping we can get through everything with minimal drama.

I kiss Robin's forehead again and steer her to the door. I'm a grown man. I can manage my family.

Right?

Robin

I assure Denny's mother one more time that she should stay in the living room and talk with her son while I take care of the dinner dishes. To be honest, I need a moment by myself. Family issues understandably put me on edge, and dealing with Denny's family is worse because I want them to like me so badly.

So far, the day has gone fairly well. A little stiff, but nothing to write home about. I know I can't expect them to welcome me with open arms right away, especially with their recent history, but I'm hoping that we'll get there. Since my family isn't involved in my life anymore, Denny's is the only one we'll have.

I'm loading the dishwasher with Cooper beside me when I hear someone wander into the kitchen. When I turn, I see Denny's father. His face is expressionless, just like it has been since he arrived. Denny warned me that his father is cold to everyone, so I was prepared for it, but I can't help wondering what he's thinking about me.

"Did you need something, Mr. Duquette?" I ask, trying to be cheerful. He stares at me for a long moment, then folds his arms across his chest.

A growl so low that only I can hear it escapes Cooper. I lean down and scratch his ears. "It's all right, buddy," I soothe him. I assume he's still adjusting, and more new people probably aren't helping with that.

"How is your business doing, Ms. Ballard?" Denny warned me about his father's formality too. It still makes me a little uncomfortable, but at least I know this is just the way he is.

"The bakery? It's doing very well. It was a rough few years getting it started, but it's finally fallen into a rhythm. I'm very proud of it," I answer, hoping that I don't sound like I'm bragging too much.

"And how involved is my son in your business?" His voice is calm and steady, betraying no emotion at all.

"Denny? Well, he gives me his opinion on recipes when I work here at home. He stops by often to support me. He's done some things around the store every once in a while if I needed help or someone called in." I'm not sure if I've answered the question correctly; I don't seem to have given Denny's father the information he wanted.

"But he's not an investor?" he clarifies.

I blink. "No, Mr. Duquette. I don't have investors. I built my business myself, and like I said, now it's supporting itself, so I don't need to ask anyone for money."