Party & Bullsh*t

Clubs. I hated them with a passion, the noise, the weird smells, the touchy men but today was my best friend Nevaeh's birthday, and she had been ranting and raving about wanting to go to this 'hot' new club, so here I was sucking it for her 22nd birthday. Luckily she knew some people, and instead of waiting in the ridiculous line, the bouncer let us in immediately. I never understood spending your night waiting in line, hoping to get into someplace.

"Stasia, cheer up! It's my birthday, and we out here to party, drink, and possibly fuck some fine-ass stranger." Nevaeh winked, pulling me toward the bar, my face not hiding my disgust seeing the disgusting countertop.

If I had to describe Nevaeh in one word, the one that came to mind was "Bombshell." I was fortunate that our friendship started in childhood because if not, I don't think we would be friends; everything about us was so different. The only thing we had in common was our dark skin, but after that, nothing else. She is 5'8 to my barely 5'3, and an hourglass shape to my pear; I rock my natural hair where she tends to keep hers tucked underneath flawless weaves. Our personalities were completely different, even if you didn't consider our physical attributes. I'm reclusive and quiet, and Nevaeh had no filter whatsoever, willing to talk to everyone and curse anyone who stepped toward her.

"Yeah, stop being a spoilsport," our other friend Sia yelled over the loud music. I could feel the bass rattling my teeth, making me more anxious by the second.

"You guys know-"

"This isn't your scene, and you much rather be at home doing nothing or studying stuff you already know." Tyler interrupted me while ordering the first round of patron shots, and I could only pout because he hit the nail right on the head.

I hadn't known Sia or Tyler nearly as long as Nevaeh, whom I had known since diapers. Vae and I met Tyler during our senior year of high school; he had just moved to our town from Washington. We had about four classes with him, and after a week of hearing girls gush about the new guy in school, Vae, at the time, was convinced he was gay. She finally cornered him while he was walking alone and asked him. The conversation was something that played in my head quickly.

"So I know all these girls are getting their panties wet for you, but you're gay, right?" I thought it was rude and was going to tell her so, but before I could, his laugh cut me off, and his comment shook me to my core.

"I'm so glad you aren't as dense as the other girls. Some girl caught me making out with her dude and still had the nerve to say she would dump him for me."

After that, the rest was history; he would hang out with us all the time; it took a while for me to warm up to him due to my social anxiety, plus I happened to be one of those girls who had a crush on him when he first arrived. I mean, with his shaggy brown hair, dark brown eyes, and killer smile, who could blame me? But after a month, it felt like I knew him forever and grew to trust him as much as I did Vae; when I finally told him about my crush, we laughed.

On the other hand, I met Sia during my freshman year in college. She was not only in my math class but also in the dorm room adjacent to mine. Like the rest of my friends, Sia was gorgeous in her own right. In contrast, Vae was the bombshell, Tyler was the all-American boy, and Sia was the "exotic" princess people often mistaking her as Asian and black with her slanted eyes, fair skin, and cheekbones but in reality, white, black, and Cherokee DNA played a part in her insane beauty. Many girls were jealous of her, but Sia had to be one of the sweetest people I had ever met. Of course, she was the first to initiate our friendship by asking me to use my notes. After that, we walked home together, where all she did was ask me questions that I nervously answered in short, clipped answers. By the time we returned to our dorm, she had asked me to lunch as a thank you, but since I already had plans with Tyler and Nevaeh, I invited her, not wanting to seem rude, and she accepted, and we had been inseparable ever since.