Retaliation

The gun fell to the ground along with the person holding it. The grogginess had started to wear off and I could hear gunfire becoming louder and the lighting even out. I heard three whizzes as three bullet sized holes appeared in the side of the tent. Light filtered into the tent and I could make out someone still standing outside of it. I took a step back from the flap of the tent and quickly reached for my pistol. As I grabbed it off the cot I was on I heard a metallic click of bouncing as something rolled inside.

Just then the flap opened up all the way and Kate ran in,"Alright love time to get out of here," she said kicking the grenade out of the tent. I opened my eyes in surprise as the bomb was received with a shortened reply as whoever threw it got it back. "How are you feeling? Is my little baby going to be okay?" she asked laughing.

"Don't be ridiculous, this isn't my first bite," I replied grabbing my assault rifle and heading out the back of it with her. I don't like using my katana if I don't have to on living people because something about it sickening even if many of the people I've had to kill is for a good reason. Finding good reasoning to kill someone is hard already hard enough to do. My rifle felt heavier in my hands than normal and my side still ached. I was terribly hungry too, but I forced through the fatigue running behind Kate. We stuck to the back of the camp which was bordered by a forest hoping to God a stray bullet didn't clip us. The camp looked near empty anyways and whoever was left was retreating to humvs. It seemed like our camp was only hit by a small militia unit, and I couldn't help feeling curious as to why we are so short on people.

"Kate where is everyone?" I asked as we reached the hummers ourselves and pulled out with the rest of the people.

"About damn time you woke up," Nick said from the driver's seat. It hit that I had stubble.

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"Three days. We pulled forces out except for handful and left you with just us. Apparently the biggest reason for the lack of zombies in the area was due to them being contained somewhere within the city. The second we left the northern part of the city zombies started coming up from the central area being backed by guerilla tactics from the enemy and rooftop top pests. That crowd we killed the other day is nothing compared to this. We are actually deep into enemy territory at this point," Kate explained.

"Well I certainly feel better, but how do you feel Caitlyn? " I asked.

"I can still shoot. That's all the matters right now," she said patting her rifle. We were speeding down a back road that had a little less cars blocking the streets than other roads did. The jeep in front of us sped in between cars with us and another jeep behind us. The sound of gunfire had seized letting me relax a little. Nick told me that we're in route for the rest of the group whose slowing getting a handle on the situation with the zombie horde.

"Something isn't-," Nick began to say as the Jeep in front of us went up in a ball of flames. I barely had time to feel ours rumble before it was flipped into the ditch leaving me dazed in the seat. I heard the third get hit and began to panic, this was planned. I fumbled for my pistol trying to get my seat belt undone at the same time. Nick looked like he had a broken nose while Kate seemed unharmed for the most part. I looked at Caitlyn and couldn't imagine she would get out of this well. Her arm looked broken and she was bleeding from her leg. I hung upside down feeling my nose bleeding. I finally got the seat belt grunting when I smacked into the roof.

Something crunched down the road and I heard a spray of bullets. I looked through the rear view mirrors and saw the enemy at the car behind us. I saw them shoot again and felt my pulse race as they came towards us. The woods surrounded either side of us, maybe somehow we could make a break for those. I shook Nick awake putting my finger over my lips as I woke Kate too. I unstrapped Caitlyn not getting any reaction from her.