Gaining Ground

PoV-Robert

Over 10,000 people were going to start taking back the US today. Sounds like a long shot, but we're going to try. We gained so many people from the people overrun in the East coast. Some went to the North base in Chicago, but most came here. Over 30,000 people total out of city that used to hold 100,000. A lot of people have died since the out break almost a year and a half ago. The first place we were sweeping was our own city and the city across the river. Our orders are the clear our state at the same time California and Illinois will begin eradicating the zombies from theirs.

I woke up at eight and before twelve was expected to have everything set. I didn't get to chose who I got or anything. I didn't get the day off either. The day we got back from Orange we stayed up sorting the weapons and went to bed around eleven. Life sucks when people have crap planned for you.

We marched through the neighborhoods with a group of 1,000 or so people leaving the rest to ready everything else. Almost like policing a campground for liter we were going to form a line and police for the zombies. The method was simple and should work efficiently enough. On my mark we all set off walking in a steady pace. We made it five minutes before the first gunshot went off and slowly more filled the air as the zombies came towards the noise. We planned for this, but it might be an issue when we hit larger cities such as Baton Rouge or New Orleans.

There was eight of us on one road when four came at us. Most of us were equipped with an M16 because of its abundance and somewhat reliability. Everyone's gun was switched to semi-automatic and we fired left to right. I was fourth so I killed the third zombie while number five hit the last one. Hopefully there won't be too many misses.

We continued walking through the roads, in between houses, over fences, in side of houses, and under them in some cases until 10:00PM. The only time we were given a break was to eat a small dinner and drink water. All in all though we did clear a lot. All of the surrounding area was cleared except the very back end of number four, but that area will be weeded out slowly now that everything else is clean. I feel bad for Nick though, he had to clear out the inner city more which included the mall. Him and his group made it back with only a few bites and scratches that a few days of bedrest couldn't fix. We all went to bed almost as soon as we got back into the base, tomorrow will be the same thing.

August 6, 2013

I climbed into a passenger seat of a transport truck and felt the car jolted forward as we exited the base. Today we're heading over as a single group and entering Shreveport. So far we haven't scratched this city really so it will be a learning experience for us. It'll teach us how to handle larger cities I hope. We left even earlier today. We started at 10 and we are supposed to continue like this for the next few months. The truck jolted to a stop and Nick called for everyone to get out. I grabbed my katana and M16 and climbed out of the car.

"How are we doing this Robert?" Nick asked looking around.

"Well we still have to wait for the few thousand soldiers to show up then we can go. So as for now we can plan what to hit," I replied waving for the other soldiers who rode with us to come out. I grouped them up and spoke. "Did anyone here live here before the outbreak?" I watched at least fourteen hands shoot up and sighed in relief. At least someone around here knows the area.

"If you're looking for the populated areas we just need to keep going straight, major shopping centers and it eventually spills out into neighborhoods," someone called out. I got a map out and saw that we only had about two miles to walk. A sudden happiness came through me that was quickly extinguished when I realized this was just two cities so far. After today everything will be walking while the trucks bring out supplies once a week. Oh god. At least I can go back to the base every once in awhile. Footsteps filled the air as the soldiers caught up. 11 o'clock. Lets get started I suppose.