Into the Dead

PoV- Robert

I got out of the truck and in a matter of seconds was literally rushed by the people in my squad. Apparently they're mad I left them yesterday.

"How was the walk?" I asked the woman from yesterday. She glared at me and I actually laughed. This set her off.

"It was nice, I'm glad you care so much. I had watch duty four hours last night," she retorted.

"I see, well I'm very sorry that happened to you. How about I don't give you watch duty for the next week or so, and I'll give you a portion of my food. Even?" I asked hoping the rid this barrier between us.

"I suppose so," she said before walking away. I started towards the navigations guy and asked him how far out we are from Keithville. About half an hour, just in time to finish the rest of the walk. I looked at my watch and went back to to truck to grab my coat and the rest of my stuff. It read 1:01 and a cold front came through last night dropping the temperature from the low 60's to even lower 40's. I met with my group and discussed how we're going to enter the town and what the plan was. A big portion of the town is large three story homes and each squad is assigned a house.

I wandered through the cold chatting Nick thinking of things that would be worth taking. Food was something we were looking for and ammo. The less the trucks had to come the better it was. We came the first part of the town which was a few shops, and they took a break while my team, Nick, and some others took their groups through the main shops and stores. The first store we hit was a clothing store that ended with more trouble from a few of the women than the zombies. I lost the argument that we need to keep moving because soon enough they were packing whatever they could fit in their packs. All of them dug through the clothes that were left and shoved them in their bags. By 1:30 I had enough and told them they had five minutes to pick whatever else they could get. Suddenly the shuffling increased as both the men and women found what they really wanted to keep. This is embarrassing. I paced back and forth constantly keeping track of the time. At 1:35 yelled at them to get out and continue through the shops.

I kept them jogging through the rest of them using melee only to conserve our ammo for the houses. We went through four stores in ten minutes where I got complaints that I was rushing them too much. I just replied I told you to hurry. Soon enough though they were in the mood to kill zombies like I was because now I was lagging behind. I learned that the woman who was a bother was named Caitlyn. Her blond her fell to her shoulders, and I saw that she had dark red high lights in it. She had three of them.

We caught up with the other groups and were heading into the housing area by 2:30 and we were supposed to finish around 7 if things went as planned. The first house we went inside of was a three story large home. We entered though the garage while all around us other houses were being entered. I lead first and the second step I took through the room a gun was cocked in front of me. I saw a little kid pointing at me and I almost laughed when his dad I suppose came next to him with a shotgun.

"Hello sir, I promise we don't mean trouble. We're with the US military," I tried first.

"And what are you doing inside my house?" he asked not taking his eyes off of me. Caitlyn came in alone with the two guys.

"We're clearing as much as we can of the zombies. Do you listen to a radio every once in awhile?"

"Not since last year. There's no zombies in here though, I can promise you that," he said closing the door.

"Well that was easy enough," I said to the group. "Next house I guess,"

By 5 we were going farther out of town into the area surrounding the town and just clearing woods of zombiesv. Most of the people were heading farther south on the high way and were starting to set up camp. Basically laying on mats and blankets. I tripped over a strike and bumped my head on a tree and got laughed at. Then a zombie under leaves grabbed my door later causing me to fall into a bunch of thorns. When we were almost done I walked by a blue jay nest where the mother swooped down and smacked me in the head. I wanted a shower, but the next truck was coming in a week so I was stuck being dirty. At least there wasn't any mud.