Chapter 22

“Do you feel better, Liam?” Eliza asked, bringing some tea into his room. He was seated on the armchair, with his legs propped up. He was looking out the window, not watching the television.

She had a master keycard for all the rooms in the hotel. She put in all the codes into her keycard. Eliza could just pretend that she asked for the spare key from the concierge.

“I don’t know,” he said, putting his gaze towards her. She was sat on the area of the bed nearest him.

She had her burst, but she was still good at staying focused, no matter what. That was why it wasn’t an option for her to ever lose control. It was fine with just a burst. That was it.

If she had lost control like how she did before when she was younger, she might not have been conscious at all, not until the next day.

There was silence for a few minutes as Liam just kept staring outside.

“What are you really, Amy?” he said, as the silence dragged on. “I can’t believe that you’re just someone from PR. No one from management has ever done even just half the things you did for us. You knew to use oil instead of just ripping the duct tape off. I wouldn’t have thought of that, Amy. You’re always around when we need you.”

“Coincidence.”

“I don’t believe you. It must be coincidence too that you popped up during this time and you know all this Kung Fu whatever,” Liam said, his hands all over the place. “I met PR people. They don’t know half the shit you know, and they don’t know anything about security. From the way you scream at our bodyguards, it’s like it matters what you say.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Liam,” she said. Her cover was obviously becoming very weak. If she was going to come clean, she had to ask Simon first. “Hold on. I have to make a call to Simon. He wants to make sure I’m doing my job.”

“Go ahead.”

Eliza went out on the balcony and called Simon. She didn’t care if he got angry if he was sleeping or busy. She didn’t even know what country he was in.

“Hello?” came his voice. He didn’t sound particularly angry, so she just went for it.

“Liam’s gotten suspicious. He got attacked today. I’m sorry. It’s difficult to keep them under my watch when they don’t know that I’m around to watch over them. He’s asking questions. I don’t think I can keep it up undercover. They notice more than I thought they would,” she said. “I have to tell them the truth that you hired me.”

“I’ve read your report. You’ve got an extensive amount of data and theories, Eliza,” he said. “I want you to work on those theories. Go ahead and tell them, but I’d prefer if you keep it to the boys. They’re quite good at keeping secrets between the five of them. I just want to keep it a secret from everyone else.”

“Okay. Thank you. I again apologize for putting them in danger.”