[We Know]

"Thanks for dinner, Charlie." Millie puts the last dish in the sink.

"Well thank you girls for cooking. That's the most veg I've had in a long time." He laughs as Bella smacks his shoulder.

"We'll be up in my room if you need us, dad." Bella leads Millie up stairs into her room. They relax on Bella's bed, talking aimlessly and reading.

"Okay that's it." Bella sits up on her bed and pouts at Millie. "Can you just tell me what's going on in that head of yours?"

Millie blushes. She's been avoiding this for a week now. "I really don't want to-." She stops midway as Bella threatens her with a pillow. "-woah, okay. Okay." She laughs. "So if you've ever wondered the reason that I'm here in Forks, it's because I'm in the foster system. So they think they can just ship me around to wherever they like me." Millie doesn't look at Bella as she speaks. "Anne and Sarah are probably my tenth set of 'parents.' I've been in the system since I was 4."

"Oh Millie." Bella gasps, she grabs Millie's hand and soothes her.

"My last 'parents' were real sketchy. They had a drug problem and they were using children as cover. Basically fooling people into believing we were a traditional white picket fence family." Millie wipes away tears she didn't know she was shedding. "Then in the middle of the night police busted in and took the kids away. Foster care took a quick look at me to make sure I wasn't harmed, then put me on a plane to Forks." Bella hands her a tissue box. This is the first time she's talked about this stuff.

"Take your time." Bella reminds, soothing Millie.

"I didn't come to Anne and Sarah with high hopes." Millie laughs at that. "But they've exceeded expectations, they have treated me more like a daughter than I've ever been treated in my life." Millie is sobbing at this point. "B-But none of that matters because I'm being shipped off again in a week and a half." She hiccups.

Bella's eyes go wide. "What?! You can't leave."

"The foster care people heard about the car crash and have called it an 'unsafe' environment for me." Millie rolls her eyes as she blows her now red nose. "Sarah said she would do something about it but I don't even know what can be done at this point."

Bella doesn't say anything else, she just holds Millie in her arms and whispers words of happiness and encouragement.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

"Okay so weird mood swings, Really pretty and kinda stalker-y?" Millie lays on Bella's floor counting on her hand. "Bells, I think you might need to call the police about the pretty boy stalker." Millie laughs and Bella throws a pillow at her.

"Shut up, I just think there's something weird about that whole family." Millie gives her a look. "Yes, Millie. Even lover boy, Jasper."

Millie scoffs. "I guess they can all be pretty weird sometimes..."

"I'm glad you agree!" Bella brings over multiple books and her laptop. "Now I've got a couple theories going right now but I needed fresh eyes to look at them." Millie's eyes go wide. Bella is the daughter of a cop, that's for sure.

"Okay? What are we working with?" Millie decided to go along with this, mostly for Bella's sake. Not because she was starting to think similar to Bella. No. That wasn't the reason. Not at all...

The girls get to researching. Discussing theories ranging from superhero's to supernatural. Bella sits at her laptop, her fingers hovering over what to type. A loud 'SNAP' outside Bella's window scares the girls. "What was that?" Bella whispers, grabbing her pepper spray and then grabbing Millie's arm. Millie pulls out her pepper spray too and they both look out the window. They look out into the dark and see nothing.

"Just the wind." Millie reassures. She sits back down, flicking through the book Bella got at that bookstore. Millie flicks through until a certain picture captures her attention. It's a white mask with black eyes and razor sharp teeth, it's labeled 'The Cold One.'

"Bella google, 'the cold one.' I think I found something." Bella nods and begins typing.

"Well I'm getting a lot of beer ads." Bella laughs. Millie sighs. "Don't worry, I'll figure something out." After a few searches Bella's eyes go wide. "Mills, come read this with me."

Millie takes a quick look at the computer, words jump out to her in quick succession. Speed, strength, cold skinned, immortal and blood drinker. Under the article is a pale woman being bitten on the neck by a handsome man.

"No way..." Millie breathes. Bella is sitting at her chair in shock too. Millie fumbles for her phone. She texts Jasper.

[Tomorrow we need to talk.] She sends the text with shaky hands and waits for him to reply. It doesn't take long.

[Is everything okay?]

She takes a deep breath before hitting send. [I know about your family.]
She waits for him to reply. He doesn't.