1.8

The sound of the continuous beeping of the heart monitor filled the room, as Ashton held Luke's hand and kissed it gently. Looking at him with sad and tired eyes, the bags under his eyes were dark and very noticeable. He had gotten about five hours of sleep over the course of the week, and he felt sick. Of course, he had to recover after all that Calum had put him through. But he refused to rest as the doctor insisted. As soon as he got his bandages and casts, he convinced Dr. Bridge to release him, and allow him to see Luke.

It had been a heart-wrenching scene for him to take in, standing in the doorway of the white filled room. The aroma of sterile latex and hospital bedsheets filmed the room, and Luke was laying in the hospital bed looking like an angel. Ashton tried to keep himself from crying, not wanting to look weak. However, he knew Luke would want him to cry, and want him to stop running away from his emotions out of the desperation to look strong, and intimidating.

He walked further into Luke's room, not taking his eyes off the blonde officer as he dragged over the chair which had been by the window, over to the left side of the bed. Sitting in it, staring at Luke. Remaining silent as hot tears ran down his cheeks and dripped onto Luke's pale-skinned hand.

"He's in stable condition," a voice stated, Ashton being startled as he quickly wiped his tears away and looked up at Dr. Bridge. A young doctor who wore red converse with his white doctor coat and a black khaki's, showing that though he was professional, he still had a liveliness to him. His hair was a chestnut brown, and his eyes were an emerald green. "When we stopped getting a pulse, the paramedics were in a tough situation. They used an AED on him and got it to be steady. But, he didn't wake up."

Ashton clenched his jaw, "You don't need to recite what happened as if I don't know, if only I had done more to protect him. Will he wake up, it took me way too long to see how much I need him in my life. I couldn't bear to lose him," Ashton stated.

"It's up to him if he wants to wake up, I don't see him not waking up though. If what you're saying is true, I assume he has been waiting for you to recognize how much you need him. Don't keep him begging when he does wake up, it hurts the heart," Dr. Bridge said softly, his eyes had been cast to the blue tiled floor, and it was clear he had, had first-hand experience with unrequited love.

The amount of guilt Ashton felt was simply unbearable, and he wanted to tear his hair out and scream. He didn't pay attention to Dr. Bridge as he left the room, leaving Ashton alone with Luke once again. Ashton breathing in sharply, and shutting his eyes as tears formed at the ends of each of his eyes.

"You need to wake up Luke, I can't live this life without you. When I heard those paramedics say they couldn't find your pulse, my heart stopped and I began freaking out. Immature, I know. But can you blame? Ugh, you're the love of my life, and I'm sorry I've denied it for so long. Even in high school you pulled at my heartstrings and made me feel things that confused me. The confusion angered me, and to say the least, I pushed you away. But I won't push you away this time, please just wake up," Ashton mumbled in a strained voice, hating when he cried because he looked hideous.

A nurse with black hair, and blue eyes walked in. She looked at Ashton with an expression of pity. "I'm sorry to inform you of this, but visiting hours are over," She informed him, rolling over a small metal table with various objects, writing down various notes on a piece of paper which was clipped onto a clipboard she was holding.

"16 breathes," she muttered, scribbling down the number on the paper on her clipboard. Not looking at Ashton anymore, her primary focus on Luke.