Chapter 38: Party Mayhem

Mature content up ahead! Read at your own risk!

Aria was sitting on a bench outside of Hau'oli City's Pokemon Center, just looking up towards the stars. She had been lost in her thoughts there ever since Nate came and told her and the others about everything that was going on. Aria could not stop thinking about Palermo, especially.

Why...Why...Why, Palermo?! Why would you do this to Serena?! Is my life as the Kalos Queen just one giant lie?! Have I been used by Team Rocket?! she brooded with tears falling down her cheeks. Suddenly, Aria couldn't take it anymore. She broke down crying. Aria didn't know how long she cried for, but it got to the point where she took the crown out of her bag and threw it down.

I don't want to keep doing this. I don't want to keep living in a lie controlled by that bitch anymore...But then what am I supposed to do now? she thought bitterly.

Before Aria could sink deeper into her despair, a voice called out, "Aria, you OK?" She turned to the source and was caught off guard by the sight of Sawyer, who looked really concerned.

"Oh...um, hey Sawyer. What are you doing out here?" Aria inquired while sniffing. Sawyer nervously rubbed the back of his head.

"Well...uh, I was taking a walk, reflecting on everything Nate told us. Then I saw you and thought you would like some company. So...may I sit down?" he asked back uncertainly. Aria blushed a little bit from hearing that.

"Sure. Come here." she responded, patting the spot next to her. Sawyer nodded before sitting down. Silence fell upon the duo as they gazed into the starry sky. Soon, Sawyer found himself staring at Aria's face.

"You know what they say about tears not suiting a pretty face? They sure don't suit yours." he mumbled to himself. Sawyer may be feeling calm on the outside, but inside, he was boiling with hatred for the woman who had broken Aria's heart.

Palermo...you monster...she respected you...and for what? For you to use her like that?! I- Suddenly, his thoughts got interrupted.

"Huh? Did you say something?" Aria questioned Sawyer innocently. He almost jumped as his face became red, like a Magikarp.

"Nothing at all! Nothing at all!" Sawyer exclaimed, clearly flustered. Aria glanced towards him suspiciously before giggling.

"You're such a tease, you know? And a handsome one at that." she stated, whispering the last sentence to herself.

"What did you say?" Sawyer replied curiously. This time, a pink twinge formed across Aria's face.

"Eek! Nothing! Nothing!" she shouted in an embarrassed tone. Sawyer couldn't help but smirk.

"Now who's being such a tease?" he queried teasingly. Aria's response was a light punch on the shoulder. They both burst out laughing. After a while, Aria became sad again.

"Sawyer, what am I going to do? Because of Palermo, I've lost my will to perform. Plus, there is a chance that the Showcases might close down if she gets exposed as the leader of Team Rocket. And..." She trailed off. Aria started to sob hysterically. Sawyer immediately took action, pulling her into a hug.

"It's OK. It's OK. I'm here for you, Aria. Just let it out. Just let it all out." he said comfortingly while rubbing Aria's back. Mentally, Sawyer was seething.

Palermo...Lusamine...Guzma...Miette...Tierno...you all are going to pay for this, scumbags! he thought bitterly. Once the sobbing subsided, Aria looked up at Sawyer with fire in her eyes.

"You know what? I want to be the one to expose Palermo to the world for who she truly is! Let's see how she likes getting stabbed in the back! I'm done being a fake Queen for her purposes!" she exclaimed nastily. Needless to say, Sawyer was left utterly stunned.