Don't Fall Asleep

"You come to a supposed criminal for help?" Emma asked and laughed, but he kept a stone straight face.

"I trust you. That little girl could be in danger and I have an odd feeling that you would like to ensure her safety as much as I would," he said. She stopped laughing, then left the cell without a word.

"Where is your sheriff?" She asked.

"Out looking for Hope. We should probably get a move on if we want to find her first."

"Why does it matter?"

"Because that woman asked me not to partake in this, but I'm not going to sit around and watch," Rogers told her. They saw David and Fiona walking down the sidewalk, then ran behind a building. Rogers kept an eye on them as Emma stood behind him, looking into the trees. She squinted at the sight of a small fire in the woods.

"Hey!" She whispered and hit his arm.

"Shush, love. Are you trying to sell us out?" he said. She grabbed his arm and turned him around, then pointed.

"Come on, let's go," he told her and they ran to the woods, looking back every few seconds. They got to where the fire was burning and saw the blanket and flashlight, but not a little girl.

"Where would she go?" Emma questioned.

"I don't know, she couldn't have gone far," Rogers said. The fire wasn't burning for long, the smoke didn't even reach the town yet. As they got deeper into the woods, they heard some twigs crack and something fall on the ground in the distance, followed by a short scream.

"Did you hear that?" he asked, then they ran to where the noise was coming from. Hope laid on the ground with blood puddling on the ground from her leg.

"Hope!" Both of them said when they witnessed the scene. She was whimpering, then she started slowly fading into a deep sleep. Emma picked her head up and put it in her lap, while Rogers aided the wound. Emma took off her belt and gave it to him to wrap around Hope's leg to slow the bleeding.

"Don't fall asleep, you have to wake up," she said to the girl. Hope's eyes were barely open, then they widened when Rogers dabbed rum around the cut.

"Ah!" she squealed, making Emma and Rogers wince.

"Contact the medic," he said, tossing the walkie-talkie beside Emma.

"David, send some medics to the woods. We found Hope, she's bleeding really badly," she said.

"Emma?" he asked.

"Yes, send help. Now," she demanded, then threw it and comforted Hope.

"That should be good enough until the paramedics arrive," Rogers said. Emma gently rocked Hope so she wouldn't fall asleep as he watched her with worry. When the medics came, they took the girl and put her in the ambulance.

"Detective," David said as he approached the two.

"Sorry, David. I know that I went against you and that woman's wishes, but I'm glad I did. I knew what I was getting myself into when I let Emma out, but I don't care. She helped me save that little girl and I couldn't have done it without her, so if you want to fire me, it's alright," Rogers told him, and Emma half-smiled. Fiona walked up to them and leaned against a tree.

"These horrid shoes make it impossible to walk on dirt," she said, then looked up at the three of them in shock.

"What the hell is this? I specifically asked you not to let the detective tag along and you let him, and the prisoner, do it anyway?"

"Are you aware that Hope was just transported to the hospital?" David asked. Fiona looked shocked, then started to sob. Emma, being a bail-bonds woman, sought right through her lies.

"She isn't even yours, is she?" Emma blurted out.

"Excuse me? Of course she is my daughter. What on earth would make you think otherwise?" She asked through the tears.

"Well, she looks nothing like you and she doesn't seem to know you, much less like you," she told her.

"I adopted Hope when she was a baby because her birth parents didn't want anything to do with having the responsibility of taking care, or loving a child. Also, she has amnesia from- no, I'm going to go see my daughter. This is nonsense," Fiona said and walked away, stumbling a bit from her high heels.

"Here you go, Dave," Rogers said, handing him his badge. David looked at it, then back up at him.

"Be at the station at eight," he said with a smile, then went back to his car.

"So now what?" Emma asked.

"Perhaps I could convince Dave to let you join the team. After all, your time is up and you have quite the detective skills."

"Really?"

"Aye," he said. They both furrowed their eyebrows.

"What?" Emma asked.

"I don't know. Come on, we should go see how Hope is doing."

"Alright, Captain."