In the East of Nothing

The hours flew by her as she chased the rising sun. The sky progressively grew lighter from it's darken state with it should have disappeared the fear of being alone however Cedany never felt more alone. In the past week, she had grown attached to her male escort. She tried not to think of him; truthfully, she tried to forget his very name.

Altering her thoughts from Rowan, she focused on the woods around her and plethora of shadows casted by the trees. She knew now why Veridia was called the city surrounded by trees, to its East was mainly covered in towering pine. They soared hundreds of feet high and casted shadows that stretched thousands of feet. Many villagers in the village of D'orain called the trees: ardua ligna or so she had heard. The woods around her began to bear the signs of civilization and of the country's control. The air around her reeked with the horrid smells of burning metal and blood.

The symbol of Morlodeum was burned on to a few trees to mark the property of the country. A few people had the symbols on their heels. She slowed down as she neared the town. It was a large village surround by tall walls of tree trunks. Smoke curled up from chimneys towering above the walls like steam off the river. Sounds of pounding steel rung through the air and Cedany froze. She had forgotten to bring a dress.

Snap. A twig snapped from behind her and her heart got caught in her throat. She sat silently watching the worse case scenarios pass through her head. She could be arrested and burned to death or raped or worse.

"Cedany?" A voice questioned from the shadows. Out emerged Letholdus, but he seemed to have aged ten years. He wore a shirt that had once been white but it was dirtied by soot, blood and who knows what else. His hair was short and cut close to his head. By he left ear was an earring and clutched in his right hand was a shiny sword.

She sat silently staring at Letholdus. He had left them with no reason and she did not know weither to trust him or not. He stared at her with his eyes gleaming. He restlessly passed the sword between his hands.

"Well, you're not going to sit around here all day are you? Guards and Sliver Knights are all around here. "He leaned against a nearby tree. A dagger hilt stuck out from his sleeve. A bandage was wrapped around his shoulder and she could see how much slower his left arm was.

"Cedany, if you go forward like that you are assuring yourself for death. Come with me, I know a safe place." he said as he tried to grab the reigns of the horse. She snatched them back before he could grab them. She let out a breath she did not realize she had held in.

"How will I assure my safety?" she countered at him. Her voice voicing the darkness that emanated from her. She tried to hide her beating heart with stony eyes. She instinctively reached for the dagger in her boot.

"Because I will be by your side. I shall guard you with my life." His eyes glinted with determination and a strong hold around the truth. She released the reigns and jumped to the ground. She stood next to Letholdus as he led them deep into the forest.

He explained that he had left them in the whore village to join the revolution that had been brewing his entire life. He had said he was finishing his parents' jobs he was the riot runner. He led Cedany through winding roots and darkened leaves. He spoke of the Black Fire as if he had been a part of it for years not days. He led them to a waterfall, the sounds of rushing water like thunder in the sky.

"Come." Letholdus called as he and the horse walked towards the fall. Cedany ran to catch up. She glided her fingers against the rough rock wall, cutting them. Deep in the cave they walked came the smell of burning wood. Cedany let out a quick laugh at how ironic it was but kept up with Letholdus until they reached the center of the cave. It was more of a cavern and below her was a village of its own. Tents and fires were everywhere. Sounds of people talking were bouncing of the doomed walls.