The Manor On the Hill

"Cedany, get up. We leave in an hour." Rowan said pushing Cedany's shoulder. She turned her head and body away from Rowan and snuggled deeper into her bed. She mumbled something not every intelligible. Rowan threw his hands up in the air and walked away from the occupied bed. "You could walk to your Aunt's if that's what you want!"

"Or you could shut up and walk away." Cedany mumbled. She glared at him quickly grabbing the dressing robe from the chair besides her. Rowan saw her quickly walk across the room and change into a simple green shirt and tan skirt.

"And why would I do that?" He asked sitting on his bed. He ran his hand through his hair and closed his brown eyes. He looked tired and his skin paler than it was before even considering that he was already pale. A yawn escaped his mouth and his eyebrows furrowed cutely.

Cedany smiled deviously eyeing the pillow lying on her bed. "Or I would do this." And she hit him in the face with a pillow. Rowan gasped as the pillow hit him smack in the face and laughter erupted deep from his stomach. He laughed until he could not breathe.

"Why'd you do that?" He laughed clutching the pillow to his chest. He was panting hard and his eyes dazed.

"Because I could." Cedany said smugly. She stuck out her tongue at Rowan. She could hardly believe herself; she was having fun with him as if they were friends. However, she was not upset about it but happy. Rowan was not the boy she expected and she liked that. She learned something new about him every single day and he kept on surprising her. Rowan rolled his eyes before standing up. He towered over Cedany by at least a foot.

"You always use that answer, do you have anything better?" However, before she could reply Rowan finished by saying, "Pack up your things, we leave soon." Cedany sat staring at Rowan. His face had turned serious and he was acting not like himself. His eyes were a dark brown, almost black. Moreover, his hand seemed to twitch as if he was fighting something.

"Rowan," She said, "Why do I have to listen to you?" She whispered the last part knowing it would irritate him. She turned her head and looked at him with her green eyes wide and puppy-dog like. His brown eyes turned to stone and his body physically stiffened.

"You listen to me because that was what you were told to do. And women listen because that's what they are supposed to do." He snapped at her. His tone harsh, mean and demanding. His eyes had gone black and his fist clenched. "I just wish for once that you would listen to me! It gets me so mad when you try to avoid an important topic such as going to your Aunt's house, where you will be safe!"

She stood there not knowing how to reply to him. However, in the pit of her stomach lava boiled. "Listen here Rowan." She walked up to him and pushed him with her hands on his chest. "I do not listen to anyone but myself! In addition, avoid an important topic? What you are going on about? Is not saving my Mother's life important to you! Or, just the payment you get in the end? My Mother's life is in jeopardy and you do not seem to understand the importance of it to me! You heartless, selfish bastard!" She stepped in front of him again and slapped him across the face. Guilt quickly filled his eyes and he shrank from her gaze.

"Cedany..." He tried to start but could not finish and walked away from her. His shoulders still stiff and as he slammed the door behind him. Emotion overwhelmed Cedany and she felt angry, upset and everything in between. She ran to the door, threw it open, and ran to what seemed no end. The halls became a dizzying mess of brown and mush. Soon she found herself in front of the library again. She always seemed to be brought back there.

She didn't know if it was the feel of the leather in her hands, the sunlight leaking through the tall windows or the smell of leather and oiled wood that made her feel at home but something did. The big room never had felt so big before when she entered through the oak doors. The room seemed to echo with Sadon's voice as if he was trying to speak to her. However, deep inside her heart, Cedany knew he would never come back into her life.