As Dark As Midnight.

There was one thing that Cedany hated about her Aunt, and it was that she made dinner a whole big thing to do. Everyone had to be clean, shaven, and dressed nicely. Cedany had spent an hour scrubbing her skin until it gleamed and braided her hair so intricately that it seemed as if she were going to be married.

Marriage, she kicked at the thought. As a young girl it was her dream to be married to a man she loved and imagined how she would look on her wedding day but as she grew older, the idea of marriage bothered her. She loved the small freedoms she had at home and never wanted them to end but she knew everything, even the smallest things, had to end. Still she pictured herself in a white lace dress with her hair twisted in to a delicate braid and Penny at her side. It brought back memories of many rainy afternoons that Cedany and Penny spent playing dress up in her mother's clothes.

She smiled at the memories as they flooded her mind. There was this one time that Penny and her had taken her mother's red lip stain and drew all over Bryce's face, the stain wouldn't come off for days and he hid in a closet underneath a blanket. Mother would wipe his face daily with makeup remover but nothing helped and she would bring him food because he had refused to come out. Father had a fit laughing but Cedany did not get away unpunished. She lost playtime for a week and could not accompany her mother in to town when she went shopping.

However, Cedany was soon taken out of her memories and brought back to reality when a knock came from her door. She looked at the door waiting for someone to run in and tell her she had to run, the memory had branded itself to her mind. The sounds, smells and sights would not leave.

"Cedany, may I come in?" Rowan asked from behind the door. His voice sounded normal but it soothed Cedany's racing mind. Cedany called back allowing him to enter. Rowan had definitely cleaned up well, he wore black tailored trousers a white shirt along with a vest and a jacket. His brown hair was neatly combed back and there was no sign of dirt on the boy. Nor could you see the bandage around his middle. He eyed Cedany as he walked in. He noted the dress was simple but something about it made Cedany look pretty. The color of the dress was pale yellow and accented the golden highlights in her dark hair.

"Where you get the suit?" She asked gaining his attention; Rowan blushed for staring at her so long.

"Your cousin, he had a suit for both Bryce and I." He chuckled. He felt funny in a suit, like a monkey. He did not know the feel of the trousers and thought the vest was a little too snug.

"Well, you look like a gentleman." Cedany said quietly and blushed staring in to his eyes. Rowan smiled. The air between them was warm with the smiles they were sharing. To Cedany, everything they went through no longer mattered only now mattered. Moreover, it brought her peace that they were friends.

"When am I not?" He joked before offering Cedany his arm. "May I escort you to dinner?" Cedany nodded but said nothing. There was no need to say anything, silence was enchanting and being next to Rowan put her at peace. Their steps in sync and their arms intertwined. Cedany had not felt so much peace in days. They entered the main house and saw Bryce had shaven and gotten a haircut. He looked like her brother again and he too was dressed like Rowan. Both men looked precious in their suits.

Aunt Alys had outdone herself by setting up the dining room with the china plates, crystal cups and silver utensils. The oak table was covered in a lace tablecloth. All of Cedany's cousin sat around the table. Bryce sat at the head of the table. Rulf to his left and Frederick to his right. Cedany and Rowan sat next to each other with Walter next to Rowan. Henry sat in between Frederick and Cedany. Thomas and Arthur were next to Rulf and Gregory was next to the twins. Edmund was next to Gregory and Aunt Alys. Walter was on the other side of Alys.