Lilacs and Future

The sun was already shining brightly when she woke up the next day. Rowan was nowhere in sight, his bed was made up and tidy. He had left no sign of sleeping there the night before. Turning to the night table, she caught sight of a bundle of lilacs tied together with string. Her heart fluttered involuntary and she looked at the white note card lying next to the sweet smelling flowers. In very neat handwriting were three words that made her heart stop. Good Morning Beautiful. There was no name attached or on the card. Cedany felt herself smile the brightest smile she had smiled in a long time.

The drapes to the window were drawn and Cedany stared into a beautiful garden that she missed the previous night. The aromas of Roses, Honeysuckle, and Morning Glory filled the room. She had never smelt anything more beautiful that at smell in the bedroom. Lying by the desk on the other side of the room was a pair of beige riding pants and black boots along with a white shirt and grey vest. She was glad to have pants again; dresses were going to be the death of her. The clothes given to her were new just by their feel and allowed her to move.

Before exiting the room to find food, Cedany grabbed some of the lilac and placed it in her hair. The smell was comforting. An orphanage during the day is entirely different from one at night. The sounds of child chitchat could be heard from every direction and seemed to never end. Children from the night before were wide-awake and running around. Cedany had made her way to the dining room from the night before hoping to find Sarabeta. Instead, she found a boy lying on the table reading a leather-bound book.

He was lying on his stomach, away from her. His pants tight around his legs and a jacket resting on the back of a chair. His hair a pale blonde and his skin the color of ivory. Cedany did not a step closer to the boy; she knew if she did, he would hear her. Moreover, if she stepped backwards he would hear her so she was stuck. Maybe if she quietly left he would not notice her.

She had already been standing there several moments before realizing a set of eyes rest on her. She saw that the boy was at her, his golden eyes amused.

"Sorry!" Cedany squeaked as the feeling of embarrassment spread across her cheeks. The boy said nothing but began to get up from the table. His movements were smooth and swift, like a cat's and full of grace.

He held a copy of Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne, which he gingerly placed down as if it would shatter otherwise. He walked slowly over to her, eyeing her from her feet up to her head and back down again. She felt nervous under his stare. That's when he spun and walked away.

"You know, when you play with fire you are able to be burned? It is most painful, a fire burn. However, it is not as bad one a girl leaves on a boy's heart." Was all he said. He smiled slowly before turning away again.

Cedany did not reply because she did not know how to. The boy turned around again the intenseness of his eyes seemed to sear its way through her.

"You have no reply I see, interesting, very interesting. One as quiet as you has quite an adventure in front of you, are you prepared?" He asked gliding his way back to the table. "Cedany, are you prepared to..."

"Sadon! There you are!" Letholdus ran into the room. He looked ready to travel with pack on his shoulders, and hiking boots laced tight. Sadon rolled his eyes.

"Interrupting again Letholdus, how rude." He said but never turned to look at Letholdus.

"Sadon, come on now. Interrupting should be known by now from me. We promised Miss. S that we would go back to where they were attacked..." Letholdus trailed off.

"Which I don't seem to understand. Why must we go back to their mess?" He crossed his arms and looked over at Cedany.

"Because if either of them goes back they might be hurt." Letholdus argued. He glared at Sadon.