Chapter Fourteen Further Down The Rabbit Hole

Quick Note: Here we are again with this story. It took me so long to update because I was finishing On the Bench, the sequel to my book On the Couch and it is always hard for me to let go or complete a story regardless if it has a sequel I am going to do or not. Most the time I do sequels because I enjoy them. I never know until I am more than halfway through writing a book if I will or not so no word on if this one will have a sequel or not when Promiscuous is finished.

This chapter was a bit melancholy so I chose a song from True Blood that I enjoy that seems to fit the mood I was going for: Cold Ground by Rusty Truck. The last verse fits I think perfectly for this book in the song.

And obviously, I am feeling better to write again. Hope you enjoy this chapter. Love you guys =D

*

The ride out to the drive-in was pleasant. We ate dinner first at In’ N’ Out, a favorite of both Shane and I and a popular burger joint on the west coast.

I kept stealing glances at Shane as he drove and we talked about our childhood. The subject had come up randomly and I enjoyed getting to know him. Everything else faded away when I was with him. Finally. I could relax around someone. Not even with Jordan did I feel this sense of harmony.

As usual, he was gorgeous. The casual button down, short sleeved shirt he wore was loose, but form fitting enough that you could see the flex of his body when he moved. And as always board shorts. They seemed to be a favorite of his. Not uncommon in Southern California.

I was pleased with his reaction to my attire when he picked me up. I had on short shorts and a spaghetti strap lace top. Underneath I had on a bikini that matched the silver color. It was flirty and could not be considered inappropriate, at least to most. Not that I cared, but we did live in a beach city.

The only thing that worried me was I noticed the same car that was hanging out in Shane’s neighborhood seemed to be following him. Its presence showed up a few minutes after we left my place in traffic and I recognized as it turned into the same lane four cars behind us. I was keeping my eye out for it more lately so I knew it when it appeared. Just as paranoia was starting to settle in the car disappeared in the opposite direction we were traveling.

Maybe it was just a coincidence with a new person in the general neighborhood but my instincts told me differently. In the back of my mind I knew something was wrong with that situation, but nothing I could do about it at the moment.

“When Erin and I got caught her father was livid and being a new Senator back then, our punishment was we were made to volunteer at his campaign headquarters stamping out promotional button type pin things. It was tedious and annoying.” Shane laughed finishing his story.

Erin and him seemed to be inseparable most their life and despite knowing that she was gay, it made my chest ache in jealousy. I never get jealous….

“How did Erin handle that?”

“With the poise and grace that can be expected from any daughter of a formidable man.”

“So none?”

“Yep.” We both laughed.

I rolled down the window and asked if I could smoke in his SUV. I never thought to ask before, but also was never in his car long and too nervous any other time. He didn’t mind. The air that came as we drove was warm and smelt more like city pollution as we got further inland from the ocean.

I felt Shane take my free hand as we drove and his thumb ran lightly over the knuckles of my fingers. The affectionate gesture always sent chills down my spine. He switched it up to. Sometimes he was caressing my knuckles or running his finger-tips in circles on my palm or around my wrist. It was arousing.