Chapter 12

"Brian? Can we talk?" John asked.

Brian nodded, keeping his eyes on the newspaper he was reading. "Sure. What do you want to talk about?"

"Roger."

Brian drew a sharp breath and finally took his eyes off the newspaper. "Actually, I changed my mind. I don't feel like talking."

John glared at Brian. "You need to stop avoiding him."

"So he told you about what happened." Brian paused for a moment before continuing. "And if he did tell you, I suppose you know exactly why I'm avoiding him."

John nodded. "Because you chose to believe the lies your girlfriend told you."

"She wouldn't lie to me," Brian said with a frown on his face.

"And Roger would?" John asked and raised his eyebrows.

Brian shrugged. "I don't know. He's been acting so weird lately. It's like I don't even know him anymore."

"Wow. So you've actually noticed he hasn't seemed himself lately," John said, feigning amazement.

"Of course I've noticed! He's my friend!" Brian exclaimed and John could almost feel the vexation radiating from him.

"That's precisely my point!" John raised his voice in an uncharacteristic manner for him. "You've known Roger for years! As for Catherine, you've known her for a few weeks!" John took a deep breath, trying to regain his composure. They wouldn't be making any progress by shouting at each other. "Look, all I'm trying to say is that it's a bit mindless to believe someone whom you've just met and who has caused you so much trouble already over someone whom you've known for ages and who's always been there for you when you've needed him."

Brian stared at his hands, seemingly lost in thought. After a moment, he broke the silence. "You're right," he spoke in a whisper, his eyes becoming glazed with a layer of tears. "I just... I wanted to believe Catherine. She's the only girl I've genuinely liked in a really long time. And I thought she liked me too." He let out a bitter laugh. "I was stupid for believing she actually cared about me."

John shook his head. "Don't blame yourself. This is all her fault, not yours. Just–" he paused for a few seconds and glanced at Brian. "–please talk with Roger. He feels awful. He thinks you hate him."

Brian nodded, guilt and regret visible in his eyes.