Chapter 10

It had been three days since Catherine had kissed Roger. It had also been three days since Roger had last talked to Brian.

Roger wanted to tell him the truth, but he was terrified of what could happen if he did. He didn't want to admit it to himself, but he knew Catherine had been right; if she were to tell Brian her untruthful version of the incident, he would undoubtedly believe her.

The door of Roger's room swung open and he cursed himself for not remembering to lock it. He then realized it was Brian who'd just showed up in his room uninvited. There was nothing he wanted to do more than to jump out of the window.

"Hi," Roger said. He was standing a few feet away from Brian with his hands clasped tightly in front of his stomach.

Brian glanced at him, his face expressionless. The calm before the storm, Roger thought and shivered.

"Why did you do it?" Brian asked, taking a step towards Roger.

Roger bit his lip. Brian was standing too close to him and all of a sudden he found it difficult to breathe.

Roger resisted the urge to shut his eyes tightly and pretend none of this was really happening, that it was all just a bad dream; that he wasn't falling in love with his best friend and that the said friend didn't care more about a girl he'd met mere weeks ago than about Roger.

"Why did I do what?" he whispered.

"Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. Why did you kiss Catherine?"

"I didn't. She kissed me," Roger said. He needed Brian to believe him. He couldn't lose his friend.

"Why can't you just tell the truth? Why can't you take responsibility for your actions for once?" Brian shouted.

"I am telling the truth," Roger said. He knew he'd lost. Brian didn't believe him.

Brian shook his head and laughed bitterly. "Maybe you're just jealous."

Roger stared at Brian, shock crossing his face and his mouth dropping open. Had Brian somehow found out about Roger having feelings for him? Had John told him? Or had Roger just been that obvious? "Wh–why would I be jealous?" he stuttered.

"Because all you ever do with girls is have sex with them! Have you ever had a real relationship?"

Oh. So that's what Brian thought. He though Roger wanted to have a relationship with a girl. Roger almost laughed at how wrong he was.

"I don't want a relationship," Roger said coldly.

Brian gave him a weird look and asked: "Why is that?"

Roger opened his mouth to answer, but closed it when he realized he had no idea what to say. He couldn't remember ever having had actual feelings for a girl. In fact, he couldn't remember ever having had feelings for anyone other than Brian.

"Well," Brian said, "tell me when you've decided to apologize for what you did. I might even consider forgiving you."