Chapter 5

John sat down on Roger's bed, not saying a word. His face was completely expressionless when he leaned his back against the wall.

To tell the truth, Roger was rather frightened by this. He was perfectly content with silence when he was alone, but when others were present it made him nervous.

"What are you doing here?" Roger questioned.

"Freddie and Brian went to a bar," said John, biting his lip. "And I wanted to talk to you," he added. "Roger, please tell me what's wrong."

Roger cast his eyes down. He let out a sigh and whispered: "I don't know. I don't know what's wrong with me."

When he looked at John again, his eyes were filled with tears he no longer tried to hide. He knew it would be no use.

John wrapped his arms around Roger and pulled him close. Roger buried his head in John's chest, now sobbing uncontrollably.

"Everything is going to be all right," John said, stroking Roger's tangled hair.

"I need vodka," Roger said in a hoarse voice.

John smiled and replied: "I'll make you some tea."

***

Roger followed John out of the room. He sat down on the couch, waiting as John made them tea.

Roger was truly grateful for having a friend like John. He wasn't sure he deserved to be friends with someone as kind and selfless, someone who always took care of him when he wasn't capable of doing so himself. Roger made a mental note to appreciate John more from now on.

"Thank you," Roger said when John handed a cup of tea to him. "And not just for the tea. For everything you've done for me."

"You're welcome," John said, grinning. But then his expression turned serious. "Roger?"

Roger nodded to show him he was listening.

John glanced at Roger. "Does the thing that's been bothering you lately have something to do with Brian?" he asked.

Roger wore a puzzled expression. "Why would it have anything to do with Brian?" he inquired.

"Well..." said John. He squirmed nervously as if he were afraid of finishing his sentence, afraid of Roger's reaction. "Do you think you might have a crush on him?"

Following John's words, a heavy silence settled over them. John looked like he regretted saying anything and Roger was struggling to comprehend his words.

Roger's voice was emotionless and his expression unreadable when he spoke, finally breaking the silence: "Why would you think that?"

John shrugged, looking uncomfortable. "You always act weird when you're around him and you seemed so jealous after he told us about that girl he met at the party. Look, I didn't mean to offend you–"

"Offend me?" Roger laughed coldly. "I'm not offended. I just think that your accusations are ridiculous. I'm straight and I definitely do not have a crush on Brian!"

"Roger–" John started, but Roger had already stormed out of the living room.