Chapter 34: Open Mic

The late night before and the fact that Riley was up at 4am to catch the 6am flight to New Jersey left her practically like a zombie, despite drinking half a dozen cups of coffee. The flight was only an hour and she’d been too anxious to squeeze in a nap. In the seat beside her, Marshall had managed to sneak in some shut eye, along with Bizarre and Kuniva in the front. But Denaun and Proof were just like her, awake but barely sociable. They seemed to be coping better, however, probably because they weren’t as nervous as she was.

They landed in New Jersey far too quickly and Riley felt impatient as it took so long for the doors to open. As soon as they did, there was a security team waiting outside for them, ready to steer them through the airport. Marshall slung his backpack over his shoulder as Riley grabbed her purse and headed for the exit.

“Are there going to be a lot of people waiting?” Riley asked, under her breath.

Marshall just shrugged, looking sleeping from just waking up. He rubbed his eyes from under his glasses. She had to smile, not seeing him wear them before. “Probably, depends on the city.”

Riley bit her bottom lip as they stepped off the walkway and into the main airport. Immediately she was shocked by the chaos. Standing behind roped off area, screaming wildly were hundreds of fans: men, women, teenagers. It seemed like camera flashes were coming from every direction and the yelling all seemed the blur together.

Marshall kept his head down, mostly and followed the security, who were trying to control the crazy crowed. Overwhelmed, Riley couldn’t seem to shut her slacking jaw. She glanced back and saw Proof and everyone else from D12, mucking around, despite it being so early in the morning. She couldn’t believe that fans were dedicated enough to get up at 7am to see their favorite rappers walk through the airport.

Ears ringing from the noise, they finally made it to the cars waiting for them. All piling into the one limo, she was glad to finally see the door shut and the flashes stop as the six of them were engulfed in silence. Riley just sat back in her seat, “Is it always like that?”

Bizarre just gave her a smile, “You better get used to it. You’re on the road now.”

Riley sighed and settled into the leather seat and closed her eyes. The conversation of the D12 performance, a lullaby to sing her to sleep.

Far too quickly, someone was shaking her shoulder. “Riley! Wake up! We’re here.” She cracked open her eyelids and saw Marshall standing over her with a sly smile. “You better get used to being exhausted on tour.”

Shifting, she sat upwards and noticed the car was empty and the door was open. Rubbing her eyes she followed Marshall, stepping out onto the concrete pavement. Riley’s jay dropped as she stared up at the huge white building, the blue lettering on the front wall spelling out ‘Continental Airlines Arena’.

She knew the stadium would be big, but being so close gave her a hell of a perspective. Tomorrow night, this would be full of people. And she was going to have to perform in front of all of them. She’s done catwalks and fashion shows for up to a thousand people, but it was never a whole stadium full. Swallowing her nerves, she followed the rest of the pack through the main entrance.

She swiftly stepped through to the main arena, in awe of all the seating and the wooden floors. A stage was half set up on the left side, lights being tested by the sound booth guys directly across from the stage. There were people in black shirts wandering around everywhere, trying to organize everything. As she stepped out onto the basketball court floor, she spotted Paul crossing the stadium towards them.

The seven of them stopped, all still looking around, trying to absorb their surroundings. Paul shoved his hands in his pockets as he stood in front of them. He looked stressed, undoubtedly under the pump.