A Revelation in the Kitchen

I debated titling this chapter A Boring Chapter in the Story....

9: Mason

            So our project presentation wasn’t a total bomb, but wasn’t the best either. Brandon was pretty mad that both Kaitlyn and I had completely forgotten that we were supposed to go back to his house Saturday morning to finish the final touches and practice the presentation. He said he wasn’t as mad since he knew why now, I guess Kaitlyn told him about Rory too, but he didn’t like that he had to finish by himself. Kaitlyn said she had to work after school again and I told her call someone if she needed a ride, even if it was me. I didn’t have the car today but I told her I’d walk with her if she wanted me to. She had laughed it off, but I told her I was serious.

Naturally, I headed to the place Curtis and I usually hung out after school before we headed over to Gus’s Auto Shop. Yeah, we weren’t his best employees and every other job I went to I got fired for pointing out every serious flaw about the boss or company itself. Yeah, I was good at that. 

My mom also told me that she wanted me focusing on school more than anything, so she did not want me juggling jobs. I honestly didn’t know how Kaitlyn did it. I finally reached the small alcove behind the school that’s been basically labeled as the hangout for Dale, Zack, Curtis and I. No one but us ever goes out there and as I walked around the final wall to get there, I was surprised to see Curtis was already there. With someone else. He had her up against the wall and the two of them were so close it was hard to see where one of them ended and the other began. As they continued to make out, I chuckled to myself and backed away before I ruined it for them. Then a phone started to ring and for a terrifying moment, I thought it was mine. Then, reluctantly, Curtis pulled away to reveal a girl with short raven black hair reaching in her pocket and answering the phone. By now, Curtis saw me and I waved sheepishly. He came over to me and I finally recognized the girl as Dani. Chuckling, I clapped my friend on the back.

“Well seems like she likes you, huh?”

“Shut up, were you just standing there watching us?”

“Yeah, you’re funny,” I said sarcastically, “I was just leaving when her phone rang.”

“Sure,” he said, drawing out the ‘u’ to make sure I knew he didn’t believe me. I just shoved him and we laughed.

“So how long have you been here? I was with Kaitlyn for a while. She finally banished me saying she needed to get work done, but it was still probably a good hour.” Curtis just laughed and shook his head.

“What?” I asked him.

“You were with Kaitlyn?” He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

“Oh my God Curtis! She was working!”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I shoved him as he laughed.

“You’re a perv,” I told him.

“I never said anything perv-like. That was all your head man!” I just rolled my eyes and Dani came over to us. My phone buzzed and I looked to see a text from Kaitlyn.

K: Hey, Dani will drive me to work #2 and home, so thanks for the advice!

M: No problem, stay safe

I answered her back with what I hoped she would take as a serious answer.

“Hey, that was Kaitlyn, oh… um, hi Mason.” Dani looked at me with a wary expression. “Well I gotta go, see you Curtis.” Putting her hair behind her ear she walked away. I’m sure she probably knew Curtis was staring at her longingly as she went away, but she didn’t turn.