A Stranger in the Hospital

17: Kaitlyn

“Dani it’s past noon come on!”

“My head hurts,” she groaned at me. I held the bottle of water and aspirin out to her.

“I have aspirin right here. You shouldn’t have had so much to drink last night and you wouldn’t have a hangover. Take the medicine and let’s get you home before your parents freak.”

“I told them I was sleeping over your house.”

“Oh my God of course you did.”

“Why don’t you just calm down for a few seconds.” The sound of my ringtone echoed through the empty kitchen and I walked in there to retrieve it. It was Mason. Wait, how did he get my number? How did his number get into my phone?

“Hello?”

“Hey-”

“Did you put your number in my phone?”

“No, that was your brother.” I groaned and made my way up to my brother’s room.

“So what’s up?”

“Oh well I was kind of wondering if I could come over. I have to talk to you and-” my feet stopped in their tracks.

“Mason, I…”

“What’s wrong?”

“Mason, I don’t know if…” He could be just like Rory. I’ve let him in pretty quickly and there’s no guarantee...

“Look, if this is about Rory-” I let out a nervous laugh that sounded incredulous.

“How do you know exactly what I’m thinking when I barely know anything about you?” He chuckled, low and rich. I loved it.

“I was going to ask you in person, but I’m going to Marco’s Pizza Place tonight and I want you to come.”

“Okay? How does this have anything to do with what we were talking about?”

“You’re going to get to know me.” I laughed.

“Sure I’d love to come.” I began my walk up the stairs again.

“Alright, well I’ll be at your house in like five minutes.”

“Mason-” but he had already hung up. I shook my head while I put my phone in my pocket and opened the door to my brother’s room. The second my eyes fell on the bed, I shrieked and let out a few curses.

Marina sprang away from my brother, who was also cursing, except at me.

“Jeez, Kaitlyn! What do you want?” I looked at him, thank God they were both clothed. I gave him what I thought was a good glare and put my hands on my hips.

“Why were you using my phone? And why would you give Mason my number?”

“That’s what you came in here for?”

“Ronnie, you know-”

“Kaitlyn, I was only trying to help you! God, do you like living the way you are? I feel terrible letting you juggle two jobs like that. You’re worn out! And you don’t even ask my opinion of things! I don’t want dad to suffer any more than he already is! I don’t want you to support the two of us. If we just move into Aunt Grace’s house-”

“Ronnie, not right now alright? Just… continue what you were doing before.”

I waved my hand in his direction and pulled the door closed behind me. I caught sight of my brother putting his head in his hands and Marina moving to hug him before it was completely closed. The doorbell rang. I heard Dani groan from the living room and rolled my eyes. I jogged down the stairs to open the door for Mason.