A Sister in the Kitchen

16: Mason

I woke to the sun shining in through my window. Hung-over Curtis was in his usual spot on my living room couch. I heard my mom leave earlier this morning, but I hadn’t fallen asleep until three so I was too tired to get up and say goodbye. She had been asleep when I brought Curtis in last night, but she usually doesn’t say anything if Curtis crashes here after he gets drunk. His parents are really strict and would kill him if he came home like that. They are snooty rich people, just the kind of people I can’t stand. Curtis hates them though, and has always rather lived with his older brother. His older brother moved into an apartment with his girlfriend, though, so Curtis had to move back in with his parents. I looked at my phone to see a call from a number I didn’t know. I listened to the message and it was Kaitlyn’s brother.

“This is Ronald, but I’m using Kaitlyn’s phone. Dani gave me your number so I could call you. Listen, my sister doesn’t do anything to help herself. She just makes her life harder and more stressful. She almost never uses the phone because she refuses to have our aunt pay the bill. When she is using it though, this is her number. She’s probably going to kill me when she sees that I put your number in her phone. Anyways, I think saying this in person would have been really awkward since you’re older than me so…. Well just make her happy. That’s all.”

And then the message ended. He said it all really quick like he was afraid if he would lose the guts to say it. I knew Kaitlyn wanted to be like her dad and try not to take charity, but she should really let her aunt take care of them more. She’s in high school and has to deal with adult-heavy pressures. It’s crazy. I got up out of bed, and smelled something amazing. Bacon. I stepped out of my room to see my sister sitting at the small kitchen table with enough pancakes and bacon for only her. I scowled at her.

“Thanks for making me some,” I said, plucking a piece of bacon off her plate and eating it.

“Hey! It’s not for you.”

“Oh, my bad.”

“You’re such an idiot.”

“Well you’re a dumb blonde.”

“Mason! Can you just have a civilized conversation with me for once?”

“Well I’m sure I can, but I’m not so positive about you.”

“Oh my God would you give your arrogant side a break? I think it’s getting tired.”

“That one was lame, you have to admit it.”

“Can you guys please just shut up!” Curtis yelled from the living room.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my sister, I really do, but I’m not sure the same could be said the other way. Plus, it’s so easy to annoy her since she hates me so much. I walked towards the fridge and pulled out a yogurt. I sat down at the table to eat it.

“Have you gotten a gig since the last time I was here?” She asked as she finished her breakfast.

“No, I’ve been a little busy. I’m actually trying in school now.”

“Wow that’s surprising,” she washed her dish in the sink, “Want to head over to Marco’s tonight?”

“Sure, I’ll see you there.” And with that she left the apartment.

            Marco’s Pizza Place has the best pizza you will ever have and you’ve never lived until you try it. I don’t know what it is, but something about the pizza there is heavenly. My sister is an amazing singer and the two of us usually sing and play at Marco’s when she’s down. We may hate each other, but we’re siblings and that’s what siblings do. We bond over music and I think that’s what my mom expects me to carry my life on with.  

Since Curtis was out of commission, I went to my room to practice. I learned Demons by Imagine Dragons on the guitar a few weeks ago and I had been wanting to learn the accompanying piano part. So that is what I spent a few hours doing, adding in harmonies between the two instruments and trying out different chords. Finally, Curtis began to call for some aspirin so I got him some and told him I was going out.