A New Development in the Story

23: Kaitlyn

            By the time we arrived at the hospital, my good mood had almost risen back to its original height. I had been so angry at Rory. How could he say something like that to me after all he had done? I understood he had brain damage, but he was still the boy who hit me and showed up at my house drunk. He was still the boy my brother beat up and the boy my dad threatened. As we walked up the steps to the hospital though, all of those thoughts vanished.

            My dad was coming home today. We all got out of Aunt Grace’s car and walked up the steps to the hospital and into the waiting room on my dad’s floor. There he was, in a wheelchair with a doctor waiting for us. My aunt went over to the desk to sign some papers so she could pay for the hospital bill. I immediately went over to my dad and gave him a huge hug. Ronnie did the same once I let go.

            “I can’t believe you’re coming home.” He smiled at me and then looked over my shoulder where I assumed my boyfriend was standing. His smile grew wider.

            “Am I going to have to get used to you hanging around?” my dad asked. Mason scratched the back of his neck and smirked.

            “Yeah, I guess Kaitlyn’s decided to keep me around for a little longer at least.” For some reason, I bushed at this and I put my face in my hands to hide it. The three boys started laughing at my expense.

            “You know what? You guys have fun with whatever you want to talk about. I’ll go help Aunt Grace.” I didn’t bother to hear what they were going to say next before I left them and walked towards my aunt. Once I reached her, I could hear what she was talking about to the lady behind the desk.

            “You don’t need the billing address?” My aunt asked.

            “No, the bill has actually been covered.”

            “It has? By who?”

            “They asked to remain anonymous.”

            “That’s odd,” My aunt looked down at me, “I would assume it was your father trying to keep it from me, but he hasn’t had access to money for two months. Was it you?” I shook my head. No, it wasn’t me but I had a pretty good idea of who it could be.

“Will that be all?” The lady asked.

“Yes, thank you.”

“Here are the forms he has to hand in for the next three weeks, just so we can keep track of his health. After that he will be handed back over to his usual doctor.” My aunt took the papers from her, thanked the lady and walked over to my dad.

            “Um… excuse me?” I said to the lady.

“Yes, what can I help you with.”

“Hi, I’m Richard Fend’s daughter. I was just wondering if you had the anonymous person’s name on record.”

“We do, but I’m afraid I can’t disclose that information.”

“No, no. I was just wondering if the name was Molly Richards.” The lady gave me a weird look.

“It is. How did you know?”

“She was the person to pay for my dad’s surgery, so I was just wondering.”

“Alright. Will that be all?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“My pleasure.”

            Molly Richards. I could feel that this was not going to be something to pass over very quickly.