A Stereotype in the Cafeteria

2: Kaitlyn

            I was so glad that today was a half-day. That meant that I could go see my dad before I had to go to work. I was so busy thinking about seeing my dad, that I didn’t even notice Dani wasn’t at the same table we normally sat at.

“Hey girl!” She said when I put my lunch next to hers. The rest of the table was empty, but I still chose to sit next to my best friend. “It’s a half-day! A couple of my friends and I are going to Rita’s. You have to come! Please, Kaitlyn!”

            Dani was the type of girl who had friends in every class, and talked to everyone. The only reason I knew as many people as I did was because of her. She made “close” friends almost every day while I only had her and Brandon to rely on. I worried about Dani sometimes though. She went to a ton of parties and sometimes came back drunk. And she asked me to go to Rita’s with a bunch of people I don’t know.

“Dani, I was going to go see my dad…” At that her face immediately went to one of pity. This is why I told the news channel not to give up my dad’s last name. He was all over the news two months ago when some stupid kids driving while high rammed into his car. He’s been in a coma ever since. Only Brandon and Dani knew about it because I refused to tell anyone. I didn’t want their pity or their flowers and home cooked meals. I just wanted my dad to wake up.

“Oh, Kaitlyn. I’m sorry I didn’t-”

“Dani! Don’t do that! Fine, I’ll come with you.”

“No, I you were going to go see your dad-”

“Dani I told you not to-”

My words were cut off when a group of people I barely knew sat all around me. Dani was instantly taken up into conversation with Curtis Griff, her new crush of the month. When I saw that Mason Heveret was seated next to me, giving me a death stare, I immediately began to laugh.

“You just can’t get enough of me today can you?” I asked him. He groaned, tipping his head back.

“Why are you following me?”

“I’m not, I’m following Dani,” I said gesturing to her, “and I wouldn’t be sitting here if Brandon were in this lunch. Which he’s not, so I’m stuck with you.” I gave him one of my brightest smiles because they seem to aggravate him.

“Anyone who can annoy Mason Heveret without getting killed will automatically go on my ‘Don’t Mess With Them List’” I thought, remembering Brandon’s words from earlier.

            “Don’t act like you don’t know every freaking person in this lunch room.” He spat back at me. This took me by surprise. He must be getting Dani and I confused because I only follow her like a lost puppy. She’s the one who knows everyone, not me. I thought.

“Is that the kind of person I come off to you as?” I asked him.

“I bet I know a lot more about you than you think.”

“Really?”

“You’re parents paid for you to come here and you live in one of those mansions on the giant hill on the west side of town. Your room has pink all over it, you text your friends the second you get home and talk to them on the phone while you do your homework. The only time you stop talking to your friends is when you have dinner with your parents and after dinner you’re on some social network until you fall asleep. You've never had to work a day in your life because you're your father’s angel and your mother’s sweetheart.”