Chapter 16 - Risk

Yep, I'm finally back! Woohoo! Now I can finish the story. Thanks for all the support everyone, it just means so much to me.

I will be updating some more, and the story is actually going to be wrapping up soon as well.

SO, that means that I only have a couple of chapters left.

I want to dedicate this chapter to yiannixox for reading my story and giving me some great feedback, which I always love. Just remember, I love all of my readers! 

Thanks for all the support everyone!

On with the story :)

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff’s Point of View

I cursed under my breath, and ducked, dodging out of the way, as yet another bullet came flying at me.

“Very good. You’re much quicker on your feet now. Break,” Lindsey murmured approvingly.

I panted, slightly short of breath, before I sat down and gulped a bottle of water greedily. Rivulets of sweat poured down my face, and I dabbed my forehead with a clean white towel, cold from the morning dew.

The sky was turning dark, and a sudden swirl of dust started to cloud the air.

“Oh gosh, Jeff, get down!”

I froze, as I heard the scream, no command, to duck. A spew of bullets sprayed into the training room, aiming at us, and a tall, frail man smiled wickedly at me, before pointing the gun at my face.

“Well well well, looks like I finally found you, my dear son.”

His voice was deep and sinister, like age old whiskey. Pungent and potent. The stench of hard liquor coated his breath. He had yellowed teeth, and hollows on his face, most likely from the lack of nourishment.

Old as a wizened man, he trembled next to me, but his presence was all the same. Overpowering, deadly. The dark black sheen of the gun gleamed in his fingers, loaded with bullets.

“Get off of me you bastard!” I hissed.

“Now, that’s no way to talk to daddy dearest.”

“You’ve never been my father ever since Mom,” I snarled.

“Don’t talk about her,” he begged. “Please don’t talk about her.”

And then he sunk to the floor and broke into tears, sobbing like a baby, and I watched as his heart broke all over again. His fingers trembled as he held her picture. Mother’s smiling face.

I stiffened as I heard the crack of the bullet filled the air, and a flash of brown hair filled my vision.

She was falling, and I heard her head hit the floor, and a sudden spill of blood stained the white cement red.

“Lindsey! Lindsey, you can’t leave me baby, please, hear me, I love you god damnit, you can’t leave me!” I howled, as I watched her glazed eyes roll back in her head, and the blood poured from her bullet wound.

Tearing off my shirt, I dabbed the wound, desperately, praying, praying that she would be okay. The white cloth was instantly soaked in red, and I felt her hand wrap around mine.

“I love you Jeff. I’m so sorry,” she whispered, and then her eyes closed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey’s Point of View

This floating feeling, it’s really nice. I can’t feel the troubles of the world anymore, I’m on a cloud. I know I saved Jeff. That is all that matters.

“Lindsey… Lindsey…”

A voice was calling out to me, but I didn’t want to go back to earth. I like floating on clouds, it’s so peaceful. It’s so nice.

“Lindsey… Lindsey…”

I cracked open an eye, and felt the blinding light glare into my face. The clouds were better, the soft voice in my ear sweet and gentle.

A machine beeped consistently in my ear. My lifeline was determined by that beep. I’m still alive, still breathing.

I’m not dead, but I’m close. This floaty feeling, it’s just too nice. I don’t want to go back to earth, where all my problems remain. Maybe I should stay here. Floating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff’s Point of View

The monitor beeped quiet and steady, and her chest rose and fell. Damn it, I should have saved her, I should’ve taken the bullet.

Now I see her, lying there, so peacefully, that I can see how pale her skin is, and how long her lashes are, fanning over her cheeks.

“Sir, you must get some sleep. It won’t do you any good to pass out from exhaustion.”

The doctor gently guided me out of the room, before she bent down to hug Lindsey, dark hair spilling over her shoulder. Her name was Tiffany or something like that. One of Lindsey’s best friends, she had stress written all over her face.

I didn’t save Lindsey; instead, she took the bullet meant for me.

I should have been there, in the hospital bed, dying. Not Lindsey. Never Lindsey. I felt a pair of small arms wrap around me.

“Daddy, is momma gonna wake up?”

Large, wistful eyes stared up at me, spilling with tears. No child should have to go through that kind of pain.

“She will Katie.”

“Promise?”

“I can’t,” I sighed.

A tear leaked from her eyes, and she whimpered like a lost puppy. Motherless. Just like me.

Oh the irony.

“Sir, we have some news.”

“What happened?” I demanded.

“Lindsey is in critical condition. With vital signs as low as hers, we'll have to operate immediately. We've operated on simlar patients, and the survival rate has been 50%. With your consent, we will start the operation as soon as we can.”

50%. If she's lucky, she'll make it out. If she's not, I'll lose her forever. Right now, Lindsey’s life is in my hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what did you guys think? Comment below! And yes, I will update again, now that I am back! Please vote!

Also, I think I will finish this story before the deadline, so yay! <3 Thanks for all the support!