Chapter 7 - Secrets

* Author's note: Here's Chapter 7! Hope you enjoy, and please comment and vote! I would love new feedback <3

This chapter is dedicated to Life_is_wonderful for being my newest avid reader! Thank you!

On with the story =)

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff’s Point of View

I’d been walking for half an hour now, but I still could not find that café Lindsey wanted me to meet her. The sun burned my neck, and the black T-shirt I wore did now help waver off the heat. Thick beads of sweat drip from my forehead onto my nose, and trickled down my cheeks and chin. The Rolex I wore on my wrist felt like a piece of lead melting to my skin, and my jeans clung to my sweaty thighs.

The hot afternoon sun glowed white in my eyes, causing me to squint beneath my sunglasses. Bright blue skies were overheard, and crows cawed as they flew from roof to roof, hoping to pick up a crumb of bread or seed. 

A young girl ran by me. Her hair was like flaxen, and she had shining bright blue eyes. A woman with a halo of red hair watched over her, and a little boy teased her about how she didn't wear dresses like other girls did. She broke into tears, her blue eyes flowing with fluid. I shrugged, before moving on. Incidents like this happened all the time. Girls would cry when boys teased them.

I checked my watch. It was already 1:00 p.m and I still couldn't find the cafe that seems so far away. The sun continued to blister on my back, and I could feel the heat seaping from the black asphalt into my shoes. 

Where is that goddamn café anyway? I muttered.

As I stumbled around aimlessly, a large sign depicted my final destination. Mimi’s Place. Finally found it. It was a quaint little place, without the bright glowing neon signs, or the flashy lights. Instead, it had a simple handpainted sign, and umbrellas outside for those who loved to people watch. 

I felt a damp tongue on my skin, and looked down to see a fluffy white poodle slobbering onto my leg, and dog spit seeped into the hem of my shorts. I reached down to scratch its fluffy white ears, and got rewarded with a giant doggy kiss. A young man ran towards me, apologizing profusely, and ran off before I could respond.

I pulled open the cafe door, allowing the cool air to dry off the trails of sweat and spit, and the quiet lighting gave my eyes a break from the glaring sun. Lindsey was already in the corner, chatting to, was that Matt Tiller? My college dorm mate? Who would’ve thought the world was so small.

She glanced up, and her pretty brown eyes were swimming with gold, until she saw me. I watched her sigh, and push back her seat with sudden force, and carefully walked toward me in long even strides, her legs eating up the distance between us.

“Jeff, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Matt,” she announced.

“Yo man, what’s up… Jeff! Man, it’s nice to see you!” Matt cried, instantly running up to me to give me a casual hug.

“Hey Matt, how’s life been for you?”

“Great! I got a hot girl, great job, what more do I need?” He laughed.

“You two know each other?” Lindsey gasped, her voice sounding horrified.

“College roommates,” I shrugged back casually.

“Oh.”

“Yup. So I guess my ex is now dating you?” I arched a brow at Matt.

“Looks like it.”

I tried to plaster a smile on my face, but I wanted nothing more than to break down into tears, and fall to the floor. Her happy eyes broke my heart, knowing that it was Matt’s doing that made her so joyful. It pained me to know that she had moved on so quickly, and I was still pining away.

Her eyes were cold now, nearly black as night, and the golden flecks I had seen earlier had all but disappeared, replaced by a mysterious deep black that intrigued me, beckoned me. I wanted to unravel her secrets, and make her happy again.

“You do realize this means you don’t have to worry about me anymore right?” Lindsey added. “I’m sure your wife would be pleased to hear this.”

“Wife? What wife? I’ve never gotten married after you left.” I choked out.

“You know, the blonde. The one with blue-green eyes?”

I stared at her then. Did she seriously think I married my sister? I had taken a picture with Kelsey at the Oscars, when she had won best actress for her acting that night. She had been glowing, and her boyfriend had given her a sapphire promise ring. A ring of love, as she called it. She’s never taken it off since.

“Sorry to break it to you Lindsey, but I wouldn’t marry my sister,” I replied tentatively.

“Kelsey?!” She spluttered. “That was Kelsey?”

“Yeah. That was.”

“I’m just going to let you guys argue this out,” Matt interrupted, before backing out of the café, his figure disappearing into the afternoon sun.

I glanced at Lindsey, who was guiltily staring down at the wooden floor, tracing hearts with the toe of her sandal. Her toes were a fire engine red, adorned with pretty white flowers. Beautiful yet innocent. Just like her.

She quietly padded over to me, before looking up into my eyes. I could tell by the way her nose twitched that she was lying about Matt. Besides, Matt would tell me if he was dating someone like my ex-wife. 

A strand of her brown hair flew into her face, and I reached out to tuck it behind her ear, feeling her skin quiver, and the heat of her cheek spreading into my fingers, warming my heart along with them. I had missed her soft skin, her sweet perfume, her pretty eyes.

“I’m so sorry Jeff,” she whispered, looking up at me, eyes trembling with unspilled tears.

Then I watched as she exited the café, turning around before she placed her hand on the brass handle of the glass door.

“I have something I actually have to show you. It’s really important. Just so you know, Matt’s not my boyfriend,” she finished, before yanking open the door and strolling out.

Her red sundress glowed like fire next to the blue sky, and the sun enveloped her, before her taking her into its warmth. A halo of white light framed her hair, crowning her brown locks with light.

I sat in that café all day that day, struck by her forgiveness. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked it! <3

The picture on the side is Kelsey, Jeff's sister ---------------------->