Chapter 1 - Get Over Him

Author's note: Lindsey's picture is on the side. In the next chapter, I'll upload Jeff. Hope you enjoy!

This chapter is dedicated to puppluv for her amazing feedback and all the help she has given this story! Please help her out by checking out her story River of Dreams! Thank you so much!

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey's Point of View, Five years later

"Katie. Baby you have to come out, school starts in an hour, and you don't want to be late on your first day."

"No Mama, please don't make me go. I wanna stay here with you," Katie sobbed.

I sighed, and looked into her trembling blue eyes, the same shade of blue that had tricked me into love. Jeff Gregors. A man full of sweet words, but not a loving bone in his body. But this was my baby, my angel. My miracle baby.

"Sweetie, you'll make lots of new friends at preschool, you'll be fine."

"But but what if they're all like Tommy?"

Oh yeah, how could I forget Tommy. Tommy Miller, the neighbor boy who constantly teased my poor little baby. He was going to second grade this year, and boy was he spoiled. The Miller family only had one child, and I never understood how such loving parents could produce such a horrid child. Just yesterday, he toilet papered my daughter's tree house (She's a bit of a tomboy).

"Katie. Look at me. Don't worry, Tommy is a special kid. Besides, you and him are not going to the same school ok?"

"Ok Mommy. I wuv you lots."

"I love you too. Now Uncle Marvin is going to send you to school today along with Tessa, is that ok?"

"Yes. Bye Momma. See you later right?"

"Right."

With Katie out of the house, it was unnaturally silent. I had gotten used to her company, and her sweet nonsensical chatter about the littlest things. Well, might as well face my fears now right? With trembling fingers, I picked up the TV remote and shakily pressed the power button. There it was. His stern, but oh so handsome face was smiling back at me. But he wasn't alone. His strong firm hand was wrapped securely around the waist of a beautiful woman. Her eyes were a soft glowing ocean blue, her hair the same shade as the gilded gold of his. On her left hand, a sapphire ring glowed. Of course I thought bitterly. Why wouldn't he get married? And to a plastic beauty who made the perfect wife for him. I swiped at my eyes, trying to keep the tears at bay, but I couldn't help it. One lone tear slid down my cheek, and I lay there, shaking and whimpering over a person I vowed to hate for life.

"Hey don't cry Lindsey. Shh, you're ok."

I looked up with tear-stained eyes to see Melanie Parker, my best friend, soothing me. Her pretty chocolate brown eyes glowed with warmth, and I half-heartedly smiled at her.

"It's Jeff isn't it?" She asked, in a soft gentle tone.

I nodded miserably. It was always him. Why else would I have stayed single for the past 5 years if it hadn't been for him? I instantly sat up.

"Come on Mels, we're going to get drunk as a skunk at the nearest bar. I so need to get over that bastard."

"You go girl, I'll call up Steph and Tiff ok? And I'll get Jody to watch Katie for the night."

"Yeah, I'm gonna go find the sexiest outfit I own."

With fury in my mind, I stormed upstairs, the anger for my ex radiating from my core. Perfect I smiled as I pulled out a tiny little black dress I hadn't wore since high school. The tight skirt barely hit mid-thigh and the top was a low scoop neck adorned with sparkles and sequins. I piled my thick brown locks onto the top of my head, and pinned it with black bejeweled combs that added light to my eyes. Oh yes, tonight, I was so over Jeff Gregors. 

I stumbled into the bar, quivering in my strappy four inch stilettos that gleamed a pale silver. My eyes were lightly lined with black, lids thick with glitter and foundation. Melanie beamed at me, a picture of poise in her white Grecian gown complete with golden laurel leaves and her blonde hair curled to perfection. She walked with ease in her strappy gold sandals that crisscrossed up her calf before ending at the knee. As my mother always said, effortlessly beautiful. That was Melanie.

“Lindsey. Oh hon’ don’t you look gorgeous. That dress is just so becoming!”

I winced as Celia tugged at my arm, her tone dripping with false sweetness. Her bleach blonde hair was up in a perky ponytail, and she wore just about the shortest thing (It can’t pass for a dress) that I had ever laid eyes on. The hem barely covered a quarter of her thigh, and her heels had to be at least six inches high. And good lord, aren’t boobs supposed to stay in your shirt? In high school, Celia had always been the “it” girl, the head cheerleader, the one who got all the guys. And now, she was after my ex’s best friend, Joe Sampson, star football player for the Packers. What, did the dimwit seriously expect me to be able to talk to my husband and get his best friend to like her? I had been separated from Jeff for 5 years now, he and I are history. And no, I have nothing against blonds because Melanie is my best friend, but this girl must have cotton candy for brains.

“I was wondering, could you introduce me to that lovely football friend of Jeff’s?” She purred in her seductive voice.

Do I look like a fool to her? Besides, aren’t seductive voices reserved for men? And for all I know, Joe could be married by now, since I haven’t seen him since I was 19. Quite a pity, since he was such a sweet guy. Sometimes I really wonder how my husband ever met a man so kind. I carefully pried Celia’s manicured fingers off my arm and stalked off in search of Stephanie and Tiff.

“Lindsey! Over here!”

Turning my head, I instantly lit up when I saw a gorgeous redhead and a sweet Asian woman waving frantically at me.

“Oh my goodness,” I gushed. “You guys seriously look stunning!”

I watched as Stephanie turned as red as her hair, and Tiff ducked her head, causing her perfect, stick straight black hair to swing forward. I laughed as I joined their booth, plucking a pina colada off the table and sipping the sweet wine. Stephanie glared at me through stern brown eyes and snatched the drink from my hand.

“Lindsey! You’re not supposed to drink anything. Remember Katie?” Stephanie snapped.

Sighing, I grudgingly nodded in agreement and leaned against the squishy backing of my chair, before ordering a cherry cola. I felt Tiff stiffen, and arched a brow at her questioningly. 

“Hehe, um Lindsey. You better, uh leave,” Tiff whispered.

“Wait, but I just got here.” I replied back, completely and utterly confused.

Suddenly, my eyes locked with a pair of the most stunning ice blue eyes I had ever seen. I had only seen eyes that color once in my life, and oh lord, on my ex-husband.

“Shoot,” I hissed. “What am I supposed to do?”

I frantically tried to gather my belongings, but not before I felt a firm hand on my shoulder that sent shivers down my spine. My legs turned to jelly, and he had only touched my shoulder in the most gentle of gestures. Up until now, no man but him could cause my body to react in such a way. Cautiously, I turned my head, and looked into the dreaded face of Jeff Gregors.