Chapter 14 - Runaway

*Author's Note: New chapter for you guys! Thank you so much for all the support, it has just been incredible! I can't believe how many comments and votes I have gotten, and it is all thanks to you guys! I appreciate all the feedback you guys give me!

And oh my goodness, I already have 2500 reads?! This is just crazy! Thank you all so much for everything, you have no idea how much this means to me. Oh gosh, I'm gonna start crying, I'm just so happy right now! I really had no idea my story would actually be read! When I started out, all I wanted was 100 reads, and now, ok, now I'm really going to start crying.

I just can't get over how happy I am to have readers like you guys who are just so amazing. Without you guys, I would never have gotten on the What's Hot list, or tried to go for the Watty Awards. You guys are just so amazing.

Every single one of you is amazing, and wonderful, and I am just so happy you think my story is worth reading and commenting on! Thank you so much!

Ok, now that my extremely long sappy rant is done, let's move on to more important things.

Please check out my new book trailer made by the lovely Star21! It is on the introduction to my story! <3

I want to dedicate this to ArielleAndrews for reading my story and giving me some great advice! Thanks so much! I really appreciate all your lovely comments!

Anyway, I think you guys will either love me or hate me for this chapter, so comment to tell me what you think!

On with the story!

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff’s Point of View

It was dark outside, the sky painted in deep purples and blues, like blue ink spilling onto the sky and staining the clouds with their hue. The soft pink curtains were dark with night, and I quietly pulled them shut to keep the cheery tone locked in the room.

A spill of thick brown hair lay on the bed sheet, and Lindsey’s peaceful face peaked out from the bed coverlet. The soft plush blanket was tucked under her chin, one hand clutching the material.

Just like she used to so long ago, back in our younger times of playful, carefree joy. It was the one thing I could relate to anymore. This Lindsey was more quiet, more restrained, more proper. Not the loud, ecstatic, adventurous young girl I had known, or the caring, gentle teen I had loved all my life.

But with her lying in bed, that aura of vulnerability came to play; the way her long lashes swept over her cheek, trembling each time she blinked, or the soft curls that framed her face. I could see the blemishes in her golden skin, and they reminded me of out better days, when she climbed trees with me, or that one year when she decided tubing would be a great recreational sport.

I ended up with numerous bruises and had nearly drowned, but Lindsey had come out unscathed and laughing with glee. How could I refuse her when she seemed so happy?

Sighing, I crawled into the soft bed, warm from her body, and wrapped her against my chest. I missed those days when we could talk about anything, or when we went on adventures together.

Someday, I hope I can go back. Just once, and see the Lindsey I remember come back to me. The Lindsey that was so much like Katie, full of bubbly laughter and uncontrollable childhood joy. That was the Lindsey I wanted to bring back.

But just here, lying here with her is enough. For me, even holding Lindsey is patching my broken soul, and I fell into a peaceful sleep.

“Jeff! Come, look what I found!”