Chapter 9 - Katie

• Dedicated to The People Who Have Voted for This Story

* Author's Note: As promised, here is the next update! It didn't take as long yay! Please please please read and comment, as I love new advice!

Thank you so much to everyone who has been faithful to reading this story, as I love all the support, and I hope to make it onto the What's Hot list. I did about a week ago, but it wasn't much haha. 

I'm so glad that everyone has taken the time to read my story, and I'll try to keep updating as often as possible!

On with the story

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff’s Point of View

I sat there, shocked, as the sweet little blonde Lindsey had brought in launched herself at me, and wrapped her small arms around my neck. Her hair smelled like mangoes and sunshine, and her blue eyes sparkled at me.

How could I not love a girl so adorable? Her warmth radiated onto my body, and for the first time in 5 years, I didn’t feel like a hollow shell of what I used to be. A smattering of freckles dotted her nose, and a gap showed between her pearly baby teeth, where a tooth had fallen out.

I had a daughter. A beautiful, sweet, little daughter with eyes like the sky, and hair gold as wheat. How could Lindsey forget to mention this? I had missed the first years of her life, and now, all I felt was pain, as I watched her walk away, her head turning back to look at me, sadness clouding her face.

“Lindsey!” I cried out.

I saw her turn around and sigh, before she approached me and sat down, pulling the little girl onto her lap.

“Is she my daughter?”

“Do you seriously think I would cheat on you Jeff? She four years old ok? I wasn’t with anyone else at the time. You’re such a bi— idiot Jeff,” she sighed, restraining herself from cussing me out, as the little girl was peering up at her mother with interest.

“What’s her name?” I murmured.

“Katie. Katie, meet Daddy, Jeff, this is Katie.”

“Dadda,” Katie whispered, marveled. “Momma, you brought me daddy.”

I felt her crawl onto my lap, her soft hair fanning out onto my bare arms.

“Daddy, you have fuzz on your cheek,” she giggled. “It tickles.”

“Daddy didn’t have time to shave this morning,” I replied.

Lindsey and I had produced such a beautiful child. She had Lindsey angelic attitude, and my looks, from the blue eyes to the wheat gold hair. Her lashes were long and thick, and her tiny nails were painted green.

In fact, she was wearing all green, moss green, sea green, forest green, you name it, and she was wearing it. Her shirt was a silky fabric, and swirled with bright emerald tones, and her leggings were a minty color.

Her hair was pinned with a green bow, and a single green clover hung from a thin silver chain around her slim neck.

She beamed at me, snuggling into my chest, and I watched as she fit perfectly into my arms. My Katie.

“Jeff, I don’t have all day. Care to return Katie to me?”

“Lindsey, you can’t keep her away forever,” I muttered, already falling in love with the daughter I never knew I had.

“Fine, can you watch her for today? I have to go to work,” she sighed, defeated.

“Sure.”

“Momma, I gonna stay with daddy today?”

“Yes baby, be a good girl.”

Lindsey slowly strolled out of the café, and I felt Katie cling to me. My arms instinctively held her closer, and I poked her nose. She laughed, and I stood up from the red vinyl seat, and put her onto my shoulders.

“Daddy, you so tall!” She shrieked with glee.

I peered up at the tiny, fragile child perched on my shoulders, her head scraping the ceiling, and her hair sticking up, clinging to the plastic tiles.

Her cheeks were pink with delight, her pretty blue eyes, so much like mine, sparkling, and those tiny hands tracing the paths of the patterns adorning the ceiling tiles.

Carefully setting her down, I held her hand and led her out into the bright afternoon sun, her small palm warm against mine. She beamed at me, and flashed those tiny baby teeth at me, before running ahead, screaming, “Daddy, daddy! Come chase me!”

How could I resist? I chased her through the park, and picked her up into the air when I caught her, swinging her in circles. She was flailing her arms, and her laughter resonated throughout the park.

Up the ladder, down the slide, across the monkey bars. She was a little ball of energy, always laughing, always smiling. Her hair pin was slipping out of the fine golden strands on her head, and her shirt was rumpled around her waist.

Little pieces of wood chips decorated her sandals, but she simply sat down and dumped them out with ease. She was such a charming little girl, and so well behaved. I’d already missed out on so much of her life, there was no way I was going to let this precious jewel out of my life from now on.

“Daddy, you so fun. Why you leave Momma?” She peered up at me.

“I didn’t. Your mom, she left me,” I admitted sadly.

Her eyes watered and sparkled with crystal tears, but not out of sadness, but out of joy. I could hear birds singing in the woods, their sweet tone ringing into the blue skies.

“Daddy, look a piggy!”

I looked up, and a cloud floated by, complete with a snout and tail. I looked over at Katie, who was lying in the grass, pointing at shapes in the sky. She scooted over until her had her head in my lap.

I cradled her to my body, and smelled the sweet scent of her mango shampoo, so much like the scent of Lindsey. 

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what did you guys think? Feel free to comment below, as I always love advice, and constructive criticism, although please don't hate on my writing, as I have feelings to. I don't mind people pointing out flaws that I could fix, but don't just say: "This story sucks blah blah blah"

Thanks for reading! I'll try to update soon <3