Chapter 1

My hand clutches my burning cheek as I hit the floor.

"You ungrateful bitch! I do everything for you and you can't be decent enough to do something when I ask?" I hear Damien scream. 

I'm too blinded by pain to answer him. This is the same routine as always. He comes home in a drunken rage, and gets pissed off at me for not doing something and beats the shit out of me.

"The next time I ask you to do something, you fucking do it! Understand?" He screams in a drunken rage.

I know better than to put my arms up to block him, but out of habit I do it anyway. I feel his fingers dig into my hair and he grabs a fist full of it. I let out a yelp in pain as my hands instinctively reach for my hair. He forces me to my feet and as soon as he lets go of my hair, his forearm is against my chest and my back hits the wall. The air rushes from my lungs and leaves me gasping. My eyes water, but I refuse to give him the satisfaction of crying. I squirm and struggle under his grasp, but he only holds me tighter as I do. His hands grip my shoulders and he brings his lips to my ear.

"I'm going out, and by the time I get back this house had better be fucking spotless. I want you ready for me. Wear something sexy, baby." I feel his hot breath on my ear as he slurs his words, then he crashes his lips into mine. 

He's been drinking something strong, the smell makes my stomach churn. Finally, he pushes away from me and I hear the front door slam followed by a string of drunken cuss words.

I slide down onto the hardwood floor and bring my knees to my chest before bursting into sobs. It never used to be this bad. I don't know what the hell happened. I'm nineteen years old, and I've given everything to this man. We began dating my senior year of high school. He was 20 years old at the time. My parents disowned me and kicked me out. I didn't know where else to go seeming as I am an only child. So, I did what I felt I had no choice but to do, and moved in with Damien. Things got worse when he turned 21, then he could get wasted and leave me behind. But Damien was a mean drunk. Instead of sleeping it off and suffering from a hangover, he'd beat the living shit out of me.

I dropped my head into my folded arms as I recalled every fight we'd had. I remembered every broken bone, every bruise and scratch he'd left on me. But the next day he would wake up and see the damage he did, only to say how sorry he was and that he wanted to make it up to me. I love him so much it hurts, but I can't do this anymore. If we keep repeating this vicious cycle, he'll kill me. I know what needed to be done. 

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I pull my small duffel bag out from under our bed and open it up. I open up the folding doors to the closet and start grabbing things I can use. I pack a few shirts, all my shorts, a few pairs of jeans and my undergarments. I go to the bathroom and grab my few toiletries. I grab my jean jacket and put my boots on. I zip up my bag and go out to the kitchen, throwing my bag on the table. I find my secret stash of money I've had hidden for a rainy day. I pull it out and recount it just to make sure it's all there. I shove the $500 in my wallet, grab my keys and my bag and run out to my little Ford Pinto.

I throw my shit in the passenger seat and shove my key in the ignition. I turn it over and the car sputters and gasps until it finally starts. I click my seat belt on and pull out of the yard as fast as my car can manage. As I begin my drive down the dark streets, I have the feeling to look over my shoulder to see if Damien is following me. I know for a fact that he's at the local bar downtown getting drunk until he can no longer see straight. One of his friends will either give him a ride home, or he'll spend the night in another woman's bed. Wherever my car breaks down is where I'll start over. And for my sake, and my car's, I hope and pray that it is as far out of this state that it'll take me.

---------------------------

Hello, everyone! Thank you for reading my story! It means the absolute world to me. This is my first One Direction fan fiction, so I'd appreciate it if you'd all be kind. I know it's rough, I'm still learning. I have finished the book, so before I move on to the sequel, I'm editing every chapter, fixing mistakes & changing some things. I try to pick songs & pictures to go along with each chapter as well, so I'm open for ideas for that, too!

For the most part, the book will be in Bentlie's POV, if it changes, I'll say so, otherwise, this is her story as told by her. I am completely open to criticism, ideas, anything you want to contribute! If anyone would like to make me a cover, edits, trailers, anything, I'd absolutely love that. The girl I'm using for Bentlie is named Ashley Benson (if that helps). Please, vote, comment, share, favorite, heart, follow. I'll do it back! Thanks everyone! Much love -Kxx

CHAPTER STATUS = EDITED.