ϛ part 1

AN: unbetaed.

Nathan saw the two of them exit the building, holding hands. It was raining, so he hastily took the umbrella and got out of the car. They were already running towards the car, though, both soaked and laughing at themselves.

Nathan shook his head but couldn't help but smile. He decided to just wait for them rather than try to cover them up from the rain when they were obviously enjoying it. They were already soaked, after all. They looked like kids bathing in the rain for the first time, not even minding that their formal clothes that they wore for this charity event was now ruined (👆).

But then Nathan realized, it probably was the first time they bathe in the rain. Both James and Nadine never really experienced being kids. Not until they found each other.

They reached him, and he didn't even bother offering them the umbrella. Both were laughing.

"Having fun?" He asked.

"Yeah, you should join us." Nadine said, excitedly and tried to pull Nathan out of under the umbrella.

"No, no, Princess. It's freezing." Nathan said. barely dodging her hand.

Nadine scrunched up her face. "Why do people call me princess?"

Nathan shrugged. He didn't even realized he did. "Because you are one?" He said.

It was true. She was heiress Lustre's wealth, now probably as a Reid as well, if she chose to take the name (doesn't matter whether through which marriage). She had her bodyguards, not to mention that even the public seems to treat her as a sort of modern princess; all her fans just adore her.

"Nah, she's a queen." James suddenly said.

Nadine smiled at him, looking pleasantly flattered.

But Nathan knew James. He had never said anything for flattery. It was one thing he wasn't good at in the game. So he knew James must have meant something deeper.

He looked at his friend and realized just what his words signified. He nodded a little at James, although he probably didn't see it. But it was just important to Nathan to acknowledge Nadine even just to himself.

"Okay," He called out to the two after his epiphany. "Let's get you kids out of the rain. You still have a party to go to."

---

They were running a little late so they decided to just drop off Nadine to her house. Nadine was sure her mother would be coming from work and Dennis would have been coming from his own house. To be careful though, Nathan parked a block away from their house.

"Thank you." Nadine said, particularly to Nathan as she picked up her things. She was wearing just a tank top and denim shorts under James's jacket now and carrying a plastic bag containing her wet clothes.

"No problem, Queen." Nathan said teasingly.

Nadine laughed then turned to James.

"I'll see you later." She told him.

"Yeah." James said with a smile and leaned in to give her a quick peck on the lips. He was still a little awkward about skinship at times but he's now quite used to their quick kisses that Nadine enjoys so much.

Nadine got off and made a last wave then started walking towards her house. The car only left when she was safely inside.

"Thanks, Nate." James said as they drove.

"No problem." Nathan said simply. "So... Queen, huh?" He said, looking at James through the rear view mirror.

James looked sheepish.