ε

AN: unbetaed. sorry for the late update 😅

Nadine smiled when she heard the door finally opening. She waited a few more seconds and finally felt his hand on her waist.

"Hey..." James greeted.

"Finally." Nadine said, turning to him. "Seriously, just open the door. You have a key. You don't have to knock and wait for like 10 minutes. Anyway, this is technically your room, since you won't let me book it or pay for it."

James smiled sheepishly but said, "It's your room. And I can't just barge in. Wouldn't that be rude?"

Nadine sighed exasperatedly but smiled anyway. They've talked about this before, but James still seems a little hesitant about even just coming near her. She knew it has to do with how he grew up--mostly kept at a distance by people who should have been his family. But she didn't want that for them. She needs him to understand that it was okay to just be comfortable around her. That she wants him near her.

"I'm your girlfriend." Nadine said, and she noted the big smile that appeared in James's face as she said it. "So okay, you can just knock if you want me to know you're already there. But after knocking just go right in. Don't wait for me to open the door. You'll always be welcome to me, okay? Unless I specifically said I don't want you near me, then you don't need to ask permission. Got it?"

James smiled, looking tenderly at her. "Okay." He said with a nod of his head.

Nadine then pouted. "You haven't said hello."

"You didn't give me a chance to." James said with a chuckle and then moved forward to give her a kiss on the cheeks.

Nadine smiled. It was quick but that was just how James was, Nadine had learned. He was about to step back but Nadine held him and gave him a hug, rubbing her cheeks to his chest. After a moment, James had also put his arms around her.

They had a lot to work on regarding skinship but Nadine was contented. Ever since they got together, James never let her doubt his affections. He wasn't big on hugs and kisses, but he'd always made her feel special and taken care of. 

He was there for her whenever she needed him and wherever she is. He'd go to her, always. She was quite surprised when he came to her last fashion show. She had mentioned it of course, but she didn't ask him to come nor did she expect him. It wasn't a big fashion show and it was really just work for her, but he surprised her. He came and he watched, looking like he was so proud of her. Nadine felt quite overwhelmed that she had actually cried backstage. The last time someone showed up for her-- not out of obligation or for their own credit, was when her father was still alive.

And James listens to her and respects her views. He doesn't treat her like a kid or like a possession like how most people around her have treated her. She is his priority, much like how she was to her late father.

"Have you eaten?" James asked when they pulled away.

Nadine smiled and nodded. "You?"

"Yeah. Me and Nathan met some people earlier and had an early lunch." He explained.

Nadine looked at him. That was another thing they have to work on. James just has so many secrets. It wasn't like he was lying to her, but he wasn't sharing much about, at least, his line of work. Nadine has already figured out he wasn't a cook there, like he said during their meeting at the charity event, but it was probably true that he does work for the hotel since he seems to have a lot of privileges. 

His meeting earlier, Nadine was ready to bet, was work related, too. But she knew he wouldn't elucidate. He probably would if she asked. But she wanted him to share whatever information he seems to be protecting on his own. She also wasn't very sure if he'd lie to her if she asked. She didn't want that.