Chapter 17: Colin

"This keeps getting better and better," Colin said. "How are we going to track down a Spark?" Colin put his hands behind his head. They moved from the kitchen to the living room away from the dead body.  The room was similar to Olivia's apartment. The furniture mostly red with brown accents. Pictures of the victim and her family litter the wall.  

He started to think about why he was doing all this. Maybe Tyree was right. MAybe he wanted to distract himself about his family issues by saving the world.  Which now entailed finding who murdered Debra and Dexter. Both victims he felt sorry for. Not just the usual "too bad they were murdered" way, but because both deaths resonated with him. With Debra and looking at her family, he knew that life is too short. His dad's death was another reminder of that. Now he wasn't on talking terms with his sister and barely talking to his mom. What if he dies doing this? Was the fight worth it?  Then with Dexter, well Dexter was a fellow soldier. If his death is connected to Debra's then he wanted to get revenge.

When he agreed to host Razor, it really did begin as an adventure. He was going to help save the world. However, now he was responsible for getting  Ashley and Olivia involved. Tyree called him out on it and rather than accept it, he tried to throw blame. True, Colin inadvertently put Tyree in the fray, but it was still Tyree's feelings that made the Sparks recruit the girls. Like most guys, they bury the hatchet for now, but he knew that Tyree was still mad. If only he had thought this through a little more.  He didn't' realize how close to death he could have been like Dexter and Debra. Good thing Razor is looking out for him.

<and I will continue to do so> said Razor.

<you better> 

"Well, maybe I can create a device that will do that for us," Ashley said. He looked at the muscular, lean frame. She wasn't as tall and lean as Olivia, but to Colin, she was perfect. He has seen her in bikinis on Facebook and thought that she could have been a fitness model. Not like the female bodybuilders, She was strong and muscular but still looked extremely feminine and soft. Her smile which he hasn't seen since reuniting was dazzling. He could look at her all day. Tyree thought of her because he was thinking of me.  I'm going to have to apologize to him, this really is on me.

<don't be too hard on yourself, we need you all too focused on the task at hand. What's done is done.> Razor said.

"I wouldn't bet on it." Olivia said." After healing you, I can tell you that if you did another huge machine like that, even with your checkmate, you're going to die."

Ashley looked as if she was going to object, but Flair must have told her the same thing because she stopped and agreed.

"Haze says you're right." 

"I don't have any abilities that would help find him," Olivia said.

"Same goes for me, I think we are all going to have to do it the hard way and investigate both areas. Figure out if there is a connection between the two victims." Murphy said.

"I thought they were only here for the body?" Troy said bursting through the front door. Conlin looked at Tyree who shrugged as if to say, hey I heard her coming."

"They are, we just discussing possibilities right now." Murphy shot back.

"Well you're right about one thing," Troy said as the body removal team entered the kitchen. "There has to be a connection. Why don't you take these students home and I'll meet you back in Burlington? Question some more people and get a timeline. I'll stay here and do the same and share what I found out when you get there."

"Sounds good Troy, come on students." Colin and the others followed him out and pack into his jeep. 

"I can't track them either," Colin said.  Razor just told me even if I tried from this distance, I would run into the Sparks firewall. As is, I would need to be close to even register the firewall." Colin felt useless and things were starting to look bad again. They had one lead but no way of following through with it. 

"I can track him." Tyree offered. Colin and the others looked at him as Murphy started the car.

"You can?" Colin asked. This is one of the first times Tyree has willingly offered to help. Colin didn't' know why his friend was being so hesitant. He didn't' realize that Tyree must be more afraid than he thought.

"Yeah. Remember my senses are heightened now. Crush is doing what he can to help control the stimuli from overriding my senses. Back in the house, I was able to store her scent and when Murphy pulled out the remains from Dexter, I locked his scent."  He looked at Ashley, "and thanks to her machine I have the scent and DNA of the Spark. I only need to go to a location where he was at and follow it."

"So, maybe we come back here after Troy leaves in our own vehicles," Colin suggested, but immediately Tyree shrugged him off.

"I didn't say I would. What if it is Megatron, He sounds like bad news."

"So, you're not going to help, because you're afraid? Didn't you join the Army?" Ashley asked. 

"Don't worry, Ashley, he going to help," Olivia said. 

Colin couldn't tell if they were trying to manipulate Tyree, but Tyree sat upright in his seat. 
The Army doesn't make you braver, I did what I had to do."

"And now you're going to do What God has called you to do, right?" Olivia asked him. Tyree seems like he was somewhere else now. Colin wondered if that would work. He knew Tyree took his religion seriously. Not in practice, but really did believe in God. Conlin wished he could, but even before his dad's death, things weren't going well with him and the family. Fucking brain cancer, who would make up something like that? A God? Why? 

Tyree let out a heavy sigh, "Fine, either we come back to Debra's place or the store again."

"Why the store?" Colin asked.

"Because the scent of the Spark was there too. I can't explain how my sensing power works, but I can remember scents like I remember people now. The scent was there and I want to say that it did come from the ship. When I get there I 'll be able to find him even if he is bonded."

"You can do that too?" Colin asked again, astonish now that Tyree was working as a team fully now. Did Olivia get to him by using God?

"Yes. See For some reason when we got to Ashley she had her own scent and now that I can discern Sparks's scents, I could identify Flair's. After you guys revived her and they started the binary process the scents have," he paused trying to think of the right words. "they have merged too. It's weird, sort of like how you take a shit and the spray too much freshener. The two smells kind of linger together before the freshener overcomes the shit smell. If it's not too late I could possibly find the merging site. In fact, it was the same thing with Debra."

Tyree continued to explain how he thinks the promotion ability to track others will go. Colin started thinking now is a good time to call his family. They had their first real clue and now his friend could track the killer. This could be the end. No, he had to set things right. He had to make sure everyone wanted to do this. He wouldn't risk their lives just because he didn't' want to face his own. 

<I'm with you to the end.> Razor thoughted to him.

<Glad to hear it, if I die, I'm going out fighting> Colin responded to him. Then he asked out loud. "Are you guys sure you want to do this. I didn't mean for you all to get involved. Tyree, you're right it's my fault. It's on me. 

"Stop it, Colin," Tyree said. "I told you already I'm with you and I won't let you do this yourself.  We're both to blame, but right now.  We are the only ones who can stop him. Right now I'm the only who find who is hosting Megatron. By doing this maybe I can use this to gain some popularity points."

"God put me with you all for a reason, I'm going to follow it through," Olivia said.

"I love puzzles, and this is the most interesting one I have. If I can help by figuring out and getting the victims justice, then I'm in."

"Sounds like you have your orders," Murphy said. "Cable and I approve, I'll drop you off and I'll stay in contact via telecoms."

Colin nodded. This was his team. They did have their orders. Now it was time to execute it.