Chapter 16: Ashley

Ashley and the others pulled up to the white single-family house. The forensics and other law enforcement vehicles were still around. Yellow tape fixed to the front of the house. Two cops guarded the entrance, one a handsome Hispanic man with broad shoulders and cute eyes. The other a slimmer, white guy with a toned look that could be seen with his form-fitting uniform. 

She caught both of them looking at her and Olivia. Ashley was used to men staring at her. That is one of the reasons why she worked out too. Sure, she did it for herself for several reasons. First and foremost keeping herself in shape and healthy. She loved the challenge of yoga and running. The thrill of competing in marathons. However, the quick glimpse from attractive men was another bonus. Yeah, she had to deal with the ones who she didn't find attractive.

Murphy flashed his badge and escort them past the two guards.  Ashley looked back and caught the white guy take a quick glimpse at her butt, before turning back to the street. Men, never change. Olivia did the same and both of them gave each other a little smile of understanding. Apparently, Olivia didn't mind being ogled at either. 

They ducked under the tape and went through the front door. Disappearing from the cold air into the heating basket of the house. She wanted to take off her coat, but she knew better. If they taped off the house, then the whole house was a crime scene.  The interior had beige walls and white finishes, fixtures, and doors. The wooden floor looked like it was waxed and she could almost make out her reflection. 

The air smelled stale before a slight burning sensation touched her nose. From the right, a woman approached them. She was small, maybe 5'1 to Ashley's 5'5.  Curved in the right areas in ways that also made Ashley almost jealous. She had tight pants, a blouse, and a jacket she kept buttoned. Her hair was tied into a bun. The look on her made it seem like she was annoyed.

"Murphy, who are these people?" she asked. Ashley assumed that this was Troy, Murphy's partner who had called him earlier.

"They're college students taking a course in Criminal Science. They reached out to me and I agreed to let them see what we do."

"Without running it past me or the Captain? Since when do you decide "

Murphy cut her off. "Look, don't we have important things to discuss Cut me a break. Lets help them do their paper and watch us process the body with forensics. They won't use names and I already told them what their limitations and expectations are. I owe one of them a favor.

Troy looked at the four "students" and turned toward the door she came out of. "If you all are looking at a career change, this body might make you change your mind," she stopped and looked over her shoulder at Murphy. "Don't pull this on me without discussing it, I don't need to get in trouble and put my career on the line, because you're trying to impress people."

"Let's get on with it," Murphy said. Ashley could feel that the two partners didn't' get along well. That Murphy must pull similar situations on Troy often. A cowboy cop, someone who doesn't follow orders. She followed him and the others into the room with Troy.

Forensics was taking pictures as the Coroner took notes in her pad. The coroner was in her fifties and wore her blue coroner jacket over a lab coat, grey pants, and a yellow shirt. The two forensic members had black pants and a white shirt. Must be company policy. 

"This is Debra Hayes," Troy said. 

"Time of death was about a two hours ago. From what I can tell she was electrocuted, but the curious thing is the only exterior signs is around her wrist. " Ashley gasped as she looked at the male forensics officer holding up Debra's wrist.