Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Tobias

+++

As I enter the Hub, I see a group of about twenty people sitting beneath, in the chairs. Above them, on the stage, where the Choosing Ceremony bowls used to be, stands my mother, pacing back and forth. The men and women of the council whisper to each other.

As I step into the giant room, my footsteps echo on the steps. Everyone turns to look at me. I glance at the giant clock in the corner of the room, and it reads 9:05.

"Tobias! Great of you to make it. We are glad you could sacrifice your date this morning and come to talk with us about the city." A pudgy man says as he stands up.

I grin, almost sarcastically, and turn towards my mother on the stage.

"I'm here. So what do you need me for." The words come harshly from my mouth; almost to harsh. The pudgy man looks stumbled and sits down slowly.

My mother walks across the stage and signals me to come up. I don't move.

A woman from the Council steps from her seat. Presumably a former Erudite. "We know you have not made your decision of leading the Convergent, but we wanted to ask you of what you think would be best. We have two ideas that we wanted to run by you, and ask if you had any other ideas."

I nod, and then walk to my right, taking a seat in what used to be the Dauntless section. I remember after slicing my hand, and dripping my blood into the burning coals, then walking down into the cheering Dauntless, where they gave me a front row seat. I sit there, in that same seat, listening to the people of the Convergent talk.

"Our first idea was that, to rebuild some of the city that was damaged or destroyed during some of the battles. We were thinking of rebuilding the Abnegation sector. We felt as if families, from the outside or within the city, except from the Fringe, can relocate their families there. It is a great community for new families to grow kids-"

Kids. A weird feelings churns in my stomach. I want to have kids with Tris. Can they grow up in an apartment?

"Then the Council thought of restoring some of the abandoned and destroyed buildings from the Purity War from long ago. At least two or three, making them apartment buildings. We weren't just thinking any random buildings though. Maybe even make them right next to each other. It would create a great city community and everyone could live with friends."

The talking of restoring the city goes on for about another half hour. They move from apartment buildings, to the parks, to building more orchards. My brain starts to hurt from all this talking.

"What do you think about this Tobias?" My mother asks me.

"Well, I do think that we should rebuild the Abnegation Sector and refurnish old buildings and create living spaces. About how many people from the Outside have moved into the city?" I ask.

I don't feel comfortable in this meeting. My pulse races. Sweat collects on my pounding forehead. This is not what I asked for. This is not what I want.

"After the Divide, about 1,000 people have immigrated here." The pudgy man answers.

"That is perfect. There are roughly around 250 houses in the Abnegation sector, and with the apartment buildings, everyone should be content." I say, clapping my hands together. "What is next?"

"The government, what do you think we should do about that?" Another older man, who wears Candor clothes, says.

"I personally think that we should create a government that will create peace. And where everyone can live freely. The council needs to create more jobs, open food stores, and let he citizens vote on some decisions. I think you should start there, and see how that goes." I put my right leg on my knee and rub my hand to my chin. "I think that you should ask the citizens what type of government they want. Just so nothing happens and creates another war. We don't need that after what happened with the Divergent and then the Allegiant wars."

Everyone on the council stares at me. They all nod and start talking among themselves. I look up at the clock. 11:30. Where did the time go? I stand up, hopefully letting them noticw that I want to leave.

My mother on the stage turns to me and smiles.

"Thank you for your time Tobias. The Council appreciates it. You can be dismissed."

I nod, and thank everyone. I turn and head towards the glass doubled doors, leading down the stairs.

"Remember, Tobias. If you ever make your decision of leading the Convergent, we would love to have you lead," the pudgy man says. I turn my head, and look over my shoulders and nod.

Then I open the door and walk out.