Rising Star Interview: E.K. Sloyer

Self-published Mystery writer E.K. Sloyer's novel Benji. (a Guide to Being Normal) is loved by her readers.

It currently holds no number on the Romance or Humor reading lists.

My name is M.T. and I get the special opportunity to interview Ms. Sloyer:

Q.) How did you come up with the character Benji?

A.) Benji has always been a character I've wanted to write, but had no visual inspiration to help me begin. After seeing Shawn of the Dead, I decided to give it a whirl. His fears of love are the common fears I've encountered, hence, that's what also drove the character to life.

Q.) When do you think Benji developed honest-to-goodness feelings for Kris?

A.) I think Benji had feelings for Kris when he first invited her inside and she started talking about the zombies she liked :)

Q.) When did you come up with Shannon's character? What did she represent?

A.) I came up with Shannon's character about half-way through the story. She represented "could-have-been" fragment in Benji's life-- leading the audience to understand why Benji is so hesitant to pursue a new relationship.

Q.) How did you come up with your character's personalities?

A.) Benji is based off the nerdy side of me...a lot of quirks he got himself into are things I've done or would see myself doing.

Copper is based off the purposely-cliche best friend who is the voice of reason.

Kris is based off the woman I would want to see in a film. Usually, I find it hard to watch an actress if she's trying too hard to be tough or sexy, so, I hopefully developed a gal whose sexy, willpowered, and sweet without being annoying.

Q.) How long did it take you to come up with the story idea?

A.) For the story Benji, it took me less than a week.

Q.) If requested, would you write a sequel to Benji????

A.) I was thinking of writing a sequel. But I felt that it ended quite nicely on its own.

Please be sure to check out 'Benji' and all of E.K. Sloyer's other stories.